adsense

Saturday 23 March 2013

The secret of our longevity -Nigeria’s oldest twins


twins
oldest twins
Prior to the celebration of their 100th birthday last Saturday at St. Barnabas Anglican Church, Okun-Owa, in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State, only few people knew that they were women that had a date with history. However, news filtered out through the social media that a set of identical female twins celebrated their centenary birthday on March 13, 2013, in a moderate get-together, where family members, friends and well wishers joined them to celebrate God’s faithfulness upon their lives.
Mrs. Esther Taiwo Olukoya and Mrs. Emily Kehinde Ogunde are said to be the first identical twins in Africa and third in the world to have lived up to 100 years. They are both widows, but have been able to survive the storms and struggles of life.
Born on March 13, 1913 at their maternal country home of Okun-Owa, these centenarians ventured into trading after their elementary education.
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the first set of twins to attain 100 years age is Edith Ritchie and Evenly Middleton from Aberdeenshire in Scotland, followed by the duo of Mrs. Charlotte Eisgrou and Mrs. Ann Primarck.
The Nigerian centenarian twins look alike in every way, except that Taiwo is a little chubby than her sister. Also, due to old age, Taiwo now moves around with the aid of the wheel chair while her sister walks with the aid of the walking stick. Taiwo uses eyeglasses, which Kehinde does not.
Their 100th birthday celebration did not go unnoticed, as the Ogun State governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, led some of his cabinet members to visit the Ijebu-Ode residence of the centenarians.
Amosun, who could not hide his joy, promised that his administration would continue to celebrate with the sisters, saying that the people of the state were particularly happy with the two women for living up to 100 years in good health and sound mind.
Our Ogun State Correspondent, OLAYINKA OLUKOYA, was also in Ijebu-Ode, and spoke with the twin sisters about their life experiences and other sundry issues. Excerpts:
Kehinde Ogunde
Could you please give us brief information about your background?
I am Madam Emily Kehinde Ogunde. I was born by parents from Ijebu area. Our father was from Ijebu-Ode and our mother, from Okun-Owa. Our mother died at the age of 104 years. Our father, Oladunjoye Ogbagba, was the uncle to the current Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba (Dr) Sikiru Kayode Adetona, Ogbagba Agbatewole. We are first cousins to Oba Adetona. I had my primary education and on completion of the elementary education, my sister and I underwent apprenticeship to become seamstresses. We later ventured into trading and, I thank God, we made our marks in our businesses.
I married the man after my heart. He was a bit older than I because I wanted someone that would take care of me and my children. I bore him a son and he (my husband) died when the baby was one year and four months old. He was a (Railway) Station Master during his lifetime. After his death, I was first taken to Lagos to my sister-in-law, who then directed that I should be taken to my mother in Okun-Owa.
How did you meet the late doyen of theatre, Chief Hubert Ogunde?
I met Herbert Ogunde after the death of my husband, who hailed from Okun-Owa. It was my twin sister that facilitated the marriage. She told the late theatre guru that I had lost my husband and he came to me. He proposed to me and promised to assist in the upbringing of my child. I consented to marry him and that was how he took me to his hometown, Ososa Ijebu.
Tell us more about your growing up days?
My mother, Juliana, was the head of the womenfolk in Okun-Owa. My father was from Ijebu-Ode. We (my sister and I) are the only surviving children of our parents. Our mother gave birth to six children. The first became the king of Okun-Owa. My mother had given birth to four children before us.
I vowed to marry a man who would be able to send his children to school. I heard that my first husband was looking for a young lady to marry. I knew he had wives before, but I also wanted a husband who would be older than I and would be able to send my children to school. That was how I married the railway station master.
Home training seems to be lacking in this present generation. How important was it during your generation?
It was very important then. Our parents were disciplinarians. Training a child lightens the burden of parents at old age, and that is what we are enjoying today. We trained our children by giving them sound education, and we are reaping it. May their shadows never grow less in Jesus name. If they had not been properly trained, no one would have celebrated us the way they did (the other day) in Okun-Owa. Parents should give their children good education and proper home training. It is very important.
What is the secret of your longevity?
It is because I believe in God. I gave all my life to the Lord. I do encourage people to accept Jesus into their lives so that all their doings will be successful. I believe in Jesus and told all my children to do the same if they want to be successful.
What is your advice to parents and children of today?
My advice is that they should get closer to God. They should not derail from the way of the Lord and should exhibit good conduct. They should also try and endure, even if things are not going well with them, especially women. Married women should love their husbands and be contented. They will reap the benefits in the future.
Taiwo Olukoya
To what would you attribute your attaining this age?
God’s faithfulness, and I thank Him for it. God has been faithful to me. I never suffered. He gave me good children. I did the little God gave me the opportunity to do and becoming 100 years is simply the grace of God, because I lacked nothing in life. God gave us good children and their spouses have been caring for us. They are wonderful children and I pray that they too will not lack, especially in their old age. All my children had the opportunity of studying abroad. My first child was employed by the University of Ibadan when he returned. He was given an apartment and a car. That was when I started achieving success.
After your primary school, what type of work did you engage in?
We went to learn sewing in Lagos, but I later felt I should be trading. We latter abandoned sewing for trading. My husband was working with one of these multinational companies then. We became successful in our businesses and we were able to educate our children. We have houses in Lagos and Ibadan.
Since you couldn’t go beyond primary school, why did you make all your children go to school?
Since I didn’t have the opportunity to go (beyond primary school), I made a covenant with God that all my children would be well educated.
How did you meet your husband?
My mum is from Okun-Owa and the mother of my husband was also from the same town. It was his mother that said she wished I would marry her son, and I agreed. We got married at St. Barnabas Church here in Okun-Owa. I followed him to Ilesa and later to Osogbo.
What is the most memorable time of your life?
The most memorable time of my life was when my first child travelled abroad to study. He came back to establish his own business. I was very grateful to God for this, because he built a house from the proceeds of his business while I am still alive.
Do you have any regrets?
Yes, I lost my first child at an unripe age, and another son, Yemi, who also died in his growing up days. Those were the most painful moments of my life. But I thank God for everything.
How many children do you have?
I gave birth to six children. Two died and I’m left with four.
What are the things that make you happy?
I am happy because four out of the six children are still very much alive. They are still doing their best to make me happy. I am grateful to them. May their children not desert them in their old age. I also thank God that I worked and built houses.
How did you cope after the death of your husband?
I faced the burden of caring for my children and I thank God that they are all doing well in their chosen careers.
What is your advice to the youths?
I usually advise them not to drink, smoke cigarette or venture into adultery.
Can you tell us your favourite meal?
Rice, amala and a little bit of eba.
What do you do at your old age?
I don’t do any other thing than to eat and sleep. I eat the food prepared for me by my maid and other family members around. My children’s spouses are not doing badly at all. I thank them. They are good children. I don’t have the strength to do anything, but I am pleased with what my children are doing for me. I thank God for the type of life I have lived.
How would you describe your relationship with your twin sister?
Our relationship is cordial. We have been best of friends since our growing up days. At times we disagree on issues, but we resolve our differences before anyone could say he or she wants to interfere. We are best of friends. I have no regrets being her twin sister, just as she has never regretted having me as her twin sister. We thank God for everything.
Culled from Nigerian Tribune

No comments: