adsense

Monday 18 March 2013

INCREASING CUSTOMER DISSATISFACTION FROM ANOTHER EX- GT BANK CUSTOMER



 
GTBANK Plc
635 Akin Adesola,
Victoria Island,
Lagos
Attention: Management
Dear Sir,
GT Disconnect: Continuous Service Failure at GTBank
Last year, I was an angry customer, today I am no longer angry, just amazed how ignorant a bank that claims to be customer centric can be when it acts so distant and disconnected from its customers. As I no longer consider myself a customer, I have also managed to convince myself that despite all the razzmatazz GTBank knows nothing about Customer Service.
As far as I am concerned right now, GTBank is the worst bank in Nigeria. Yes, this is my opinion and if you have walked my walk with GTBank you will agree with me. For this reason, I must narrate my nightmare of a journey as a former Customer of GTBank. As I write this letter, my only motivation is that it may be a source of feedback and reform for the bank. I have an innate belief that when we don't offer feedback we deny the affected party the opportunity to learn and develop and in this case change from its ignorant ways.
My letter is long, because it is a story depicting the history of a dysfunctional relationship between a corporate entity and its customer. For whatever it's worth, let's learn what we can about service failure over multiple channels.
My grievances with GTB have been long piling but I will begin with the straw that broke the camel's back.
Sometime in December 2012, I made an online dollar based transfer from our corporate account to a client account. The first transfer was unsuccessful and so I tried again immediately. As soon as I did, I received a debit alert for 2 transactions, indicating that I was debited twice for the same transaction. I had been told on a previous occasion that internet banking issues were dealt with via GTConnect, GTBank’s telephone banking service and so I called GTConnect to narrate the experience of multiple debits for one transaction.
As I was more interested in getting the debited money reversed, I explained that this was not the first time I had experienced such a problem with GTBank and multiple debits, it had happened with Bill Payments, Airline Bookings and in fact it had happened a few months before where I was debited twice for a bank transfer even though I received an error message that there was a transaction processing error. I explained that the previous time I called GTConnect and the transaction was reversed. He responded that on this occasion, he couldn't do anything about it because it was a GTBank to GTBank transfer, hence the transfer of funds were instant. When I asked how the issue could be resolved, I was told that if I knew the person who the money was transferred to I should ask them to transfer the money back to our account. When I asked about what would happen to all the bank charges incurred as a result, I was asked to send an email to complaints@gtbank.com which I did. The next day I received a response by email saying that all internet banking related complaints were handled by GTConnect so I called them again.
The second time I called GTConnect the response from the lady I spoke to was that I should not process transactions twice without checking my balance. I was alarmed that she was insisting that despite seeing an error that the transaction was unsuccessful, I was to blame for the incident seeing that I didn’t confirm whether GTBank’s processing error was a false report. In other words she was insinuating that I should not have believed the bank’s error message. I thought her explanation was absurd!
At this time, I asked what would happen to all the bank charges incurred as I had been charged $43 for both debits and asking that the money to be transferred back would mean another $43 will be debited to the client account, making a total transaction charge of about $130 for one transaction. I was told that we would have to bear the cost of all transactions. By this time, I could not believe that GTBank would make a decision that puts its customer in such a discontented state.
I informed her that if this was their decision, I would close that account as I couldn't understand how GTBank would expect us to bear the cost of a system error. So I asked that the matter be escalated, which she agreed to do. A few days later she called to inform me that a decision had been made by her superiors and that no refund could be made to our account. She claimed that the system showed that I had initiated the transaction twice myself. I didn't know what to make of her explanation. What do you do when there is an error processing a transaction? Look at you screen? Of course you will naturally try again. I had asked her whether she made it clear how angry I was and how I was prepared to close the account if nothing was done in terms of a refund, she acknowledged in the affirmative. At that point, I saw the writing on the wall, it could not have been clearer; 'WE DO NOT NEED YOUR BUSINESS'. After 4 years of banking with GTBank, they were happy to part ways with us over $90.
For the first time in a long time, I felt bullied and disregarded. I was angry and I felt cheated. Was GTBank bullying us? Or was GTBank trying to rip us off our hard earned money? On what basis, given all the information GTBank had about this transaction did GTBank feel that it was ok to charge us 3 times for a system error. Even if I as a customer had made a genuine mistake does it make it alright for GTBank to go ahead and take advantage of the situation. Surely the image I had of GTBank at that point was that a smirk faced gangster who went around bullying people and reaping where they did not sow. What does GTBank stand for? Where are your values? More so, what values were being depicted by your response?
I know that our account portfolio is too small for GTBank, it has appeared on several occasions that we were being looked down on, in fact over the last 3 years we got so tired of being ignored that we began winding down our dealings with your bank, limiting our transactions to domiciliary and a few clients who want to make online transfers to our GT account.
In the 4 years of banking with you, GTBank does not even know our online address let alone our physical address. In these days of ‘Know Your Customer’ GTBank representatives have never ever been to our office or reached out to us. GTBank does not even know what business we are into. They do not even know that we know longer operate from the location that we registered as our initial address. When we moved to our Lekki office, our Zenith Bank account officer was there, in fact, sometimes she comes to say hello when she is in the area and sometimes I am too busy to even see her. Diamond Bank has followed us to every single office address even up till a temporary address we had for 6 months. GTBank, to say you do not know us is an understatement.
But it is obvious why GTBank knows little about us, it is because they just do not care! To GTBank we are nothing more than a transaction; we are simply processed like items on a production line or checkout counter. NEXT! Why bank with GTBank when there are so many other banks offering the same and even better services? What is the benefit of banking with GTBank? You do not want nor need our business and neither do we need you. One phone call to Zenith or Diamond bank, they will be very glad to assist in helping us clear the last of our measly funds in your bank.
What services has GTBank ever offered to us? Instead you look for ways to belittle us the more. A few days ago for the second time, you sent your condescending email on SME Banking. What are you offering SMEs? You had nothing else to say but were pleased to inform us that we no longer had the elusive account officers; instead you were lumping us SMEs all together and assigning us 2 account officers. Whoopee! Is that service? Letting us know that we are now a group of who knows how many and not worthy of personalised or even customer centric solutions. Whatever your plans for SMEs are, you sure have a very poor way of communicating it.
Like we didn't know we were small till you labelled us. Shout it out loud, let everyone hear that we now have 2 people looking after all of us, yet these same 2 people have never reached out to us or offered us anything to support or grow our business. Instead they charge us uncompetitive and exorbitant rates while seeking gangster laden opportunities to rip us off. What are you doing for small businesses? How are you partnering and supporting our development? Sorry to bust your bubble but Arts and Culture are not our priority, survival and growth are. Customers are tired of your product centric approach.
What is GTBank doing about SMEs? Have you reached out to the small businesses that support GTBank or are you going outside to do your Charity and CSR. We have been with you for 4 years, no one ever reached out to us. A gentle reminder that ‘Charity begins at home’. Have you for a split second reached out to 'we' labelled as SMEs and thought of ways to support us, beyond account officers that have no experience or zeal to deal with our issues. We need empowerment, education and favourable financial services.
Let me remind you that Small businesses are powering this economy in ways that big businesses can only dream of. Small businesses are an economic source to many households, employing youth and bridging commercial gaps while dealing with the dearth that exists in our society. What is GTBank's role in all this; Nothing! I can say this authoritatively because we have banked with you for 4 years and have never ever been offered any service of real value. It is not like what ‘we’ SMEs think matters, but it is not enough to be known for funding and supporting big businesses, if you are genuinely interested in supporting causes, I have a 1001 ideas and issues to present you with.
GTBank, your people couldn't care less about us and they showed it AUDACIOUSLY and continue to show it at every opportunity. Our issues were escalated and someone at a higher level said ' LET THEM GO, WE DON'T NEED THEM'. My dear, a wise business person knows that no business is too small, even if all you got from us was $200 a month, that can pay 1 teller's salary. By the way, your $200 ‘chicken change' is staff salary to some of us.
I won't even go into my personal account issues with GTBank. The list will go on and on. In my naïve days when I thought I could rely on having one bank card, it was stories of woe. Is it the number of times I have been stranded at airports because there is never money in GTBank ATMs? On one occasion I was saved by left over holiday dollars I had in my wallet, all because GTBank failed at the ATM, then failed at the Airport in Lagos, then failed at the POS at the hotel. Can I count how many times I have felt like a fraud trying to convince the cashier/proprietor that I have money but my GTBank card is not working? Or is the day that I drove across Lagos to collect money from a friend because GTBank ATMs all over Lagos were out of service? Or is it the day I was embarrassed at the checkout overseas because GTBank unknown to me will not allow me spend over $1000 a day when overseas; how am I supposed to buy a laptop??? You said you no longer give foreign exchange, that I should use my Naira MasterCard when I travel and yet when I try to use the card I cannot buy what I need.
GTBank fails over and over again, over multiple channels; Banking halls, ATM, POS, Online payment, International travel; the service failure is continuous. Relying on a GTBank card is like playing the lottery, your probability of winning is very slim. Where GTBank fails, Zenith Bank comes to the rescue. I cannot count the number of times my Zenith Bank card has saved me from the embarrassment of GTBank.
You may say to yourself that you are good but that will not be true. That mediocrity is highly accepted in our country does not mean that when you see poor service you classify it as good. You may even consider yourself better than some of your competitors but be rest assured that it is simply a case of 'in the land of the blind, a one eyed man is king'. GTBank you have a loooong way to go!
So what can you do really? Because if you still don't know what to do to resolve your issues, you are still at square 1, simply going round in circles like a sick chicken or worse still you are on a treadmill, working hard and running fast but still on the same spot.
Whatever the case, GTBank get to know who your customers are, not just big ones, small ones too. Stop using our basic bio data to offer mediocre services. We are no longer impressed that you know our names and our birthdays, that is so passé. Use data as a business intelligence tool. Using analytics, seek areas where you can truly add value to customers. Use data to identify trends, predict customer current and future needs, and stop doing old-school surveys. The devil is in the detail; look through the data. If you saw the data, will you even be able to analyse and interpret it for business use? If not, then go and learn how to. Find out how the rest of the world is using data to drive business.
GTBank, be customer centric, not product and system centric. Do not allow Systems be a source of grievance to your customers. It is not enough to have COT charges on auto pilot if you cannot reverse them. That the system showed I initiated a transaction several times is just the beginning of the story not the end. Find methods to capture other parts of the scenario and help your staff make better decisions when faced with customer issues. Should customers be punished because your systems are programmed a certain way? Systems do not work well enough on their own; if they did technology would have taken over everything. The human element still has an important role to play…but even when I tried to draw GTBank’s attention to the human issues, GTBank still took the system’s side over the customer, debiting us of $130 instead of $43.
When I called GTConnect, I called to speak to a human being not a robot. I truly believed that if I explained the circumstances of the transaction, a human being would understand but the response from the human being was even more robotic. The human beings disregarded the information I provided and set out to impose punitive measures instead. A customer centric solution would have focussed on customer satisfaction and retention not customer humiliation. I really felt disappointed, cheated and disregarded a mix of emotions that should never have been allowed to happen.
GTConnect is just a 1st level call centre. It is a waste of money with no ROI if the people there cannot resolve customer issues or use analytics to develop customer centric solutions and customer loyalty. Training them on customer service is not enough. That they should be polite is expected but that is not where Customer Service ends. The real question is can they deliver customer value? If they cannot solve my problem, they are useless to me, no matter how polite they may be. If they are too junior in rank that they have no delegated levels of authority then they cannot deliver value to customers who need certain issues addressed and resolved. If they don’t use business intelligence to help make informed decisions to indemnify irate and dissatisfied customers then close GTConnect only reopening it when they can deliver true customer value.
Last week, I received a phone alert that my expired GTBank debit card was ready for pick up. I called the account officer to ask how I could get my new card seeing that I had no plans of going into the busy halls of Awolowo way branch. As I had no relationship with this individual whom was once communicated to me to be my account officer, I knew I stood no chance if I asked if my card could be delivered to me but I still went ahead and asked and of course to no surprise the answer was NO. From the tone of the conversation, it was obvious she didn't know who I was (I AM A NOBODY AFTERALL), she didn't have my number yet I had stored her details after all the years that the account had been opened. That sure made me feel great, another one up for GTBank!
A bit baffled why she was so disconnected, I felt compelled to ask her if she was still with GTBank and she confirmed that she still was so I went on to make my enquiry on transferring my card to a closer branch. I was promptly told that only GTConnect could arrange the transfer of my card to another branch. Before I could say anything else she had hung up. Of course I have no energy right now to speak with GT DISCONNECT. I guess I should have also inquired if they had also moved my personal account to SMPA (Small and Medium sized Personal Accounts) seeing that I do not have much money there either. But why would I have any money in a bank where I have no relationship?
On the flip side, last month my Zenith account officer brought my Zenith debit card to my office and when she arrived she came with a letter stating that Zenith Bank had reduced our COT charges by half. With Diamond Bank the concessions offered to us were immediate on opening the account; as a result we quickly discontinued some of the transactions we did with GTBank. With GTBank, the story is very different; hmmm do they even know who we are? Nope! When I did ask for a concession all I got was a blatant NO! I read between the lines and figured that the account officer didn’t have the authority to offer us a concession, and then my question is why are we assigned an account officer who cannot offer us any value-adding services? Again I got the impression that the unimportant accounts were handled by inexperienced people who have nothing to offer us in terms of service.
Why will concessions be reserved for the big firms when it is an obvious and clear need for small firms? Must we even have to ask for a concession; can’t you just predict our needs and give it us as evidence of your support? Why are you offering services to big firms and creating crippling conditions for small firms? Again I ask, what values are being depicted here?
GTBank, proffer solutions for your market segments, big as well as small. The Nigerian market remains untapped; so many problems are evidence of all the opportunities that exist within. GTBank, THINK!
Right now I have no ties with GTBank, no meaningful relationship with any of the so-called account officers who opened all our accounts. 4 years later and I cannot make a business case for staying with your bank. After opening an account with GTBank, it ended there, I know no one there that cares about whether we are still in business or are gone tomorrow. I have never been offered any services; the bank appears to be satisfied with just collecting COT charges.
I know we don’t have money and by the time you look at our account balance you’ll probably laugh and say upon all this long talk, no money. My dear, empty barrels they say make the most noise. There is power in communication; at least maybe when someone reads or hears about our experience they can decide on what to make of GTBank but this is my story.
We are going where they will appreciate us. GTBank, it was NOT NICE doing business with you.
Regards,
Adora

No comments: