adsense

Saturday 29 November 2014

I worked hard to change my poor family’s fortune –Emmanuel Okpalaeke, first class graduate, Uniben


   

 

 

Emmanuel Okpalaeke
Okpalaeke Emmanuel, 24, graduated with a First Class from the Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering, University of Benin, Edo State, with a 4.89 CGPA. In this interview, he tells TUNDE AJAJA about his undergraduate experience
Having a first class doesn’t come easy, what did you do differently to have such a result?
One thing I did differently from others was the volume of materials I had to consult for almost every course I offered. I could consult up to five different textbooks and read almost everything on the subject in all the textbooks to have a better understanding. It wasn’t fun for me but I had to do it. Many students are not willing to pay such a price, they are only interested in a small volume of material that summarises all the points they would need to pass their exams. Having a first class involved a lot of reading and for hours too, which was sometimes stressful. I spent most of my pocket money buying textbooks, so, the money I could have used to buy certain things of pleasure, like nice clothing and electronic gadgets went into textbooks. I also isolated myself from friends and neighbours to be able to study. However, the pains I felt then seem so insignificant now in the light of the gain it has brought me. I’m glad all those didn’t amount to waste.
Did you set any target for yourself when you gained admission?
My plan was to understand all my courses perfectly and have the highest grade attainable in each course. So, I knew that with such plan, which many people would call a big dream, having a first class would be relatively easy, and that was one of the things that made it easy. Also, I put God first and pursue excellence in anything I do. That was a conscious decision too.
What attracted you to Electrical/Electronics Engineering?
As a child, my dream was to become a great inventor and improve the standard of living of my fatherland through technology because I had always been fascinated by technological gadgets and engineering artefacts. Those days, whenever I crossed any bridge I would always wonder and ask myself how possible it was for a bridge to float above the water. Everything that had to do with technology fascinated me and as I was growing up, I had flair for mathematics and physics. So, my interest in technology and the inclination for mathematics and physics had a role to play in my choice of course. However, I also have some likeness for literature; I love things that have to do with writing, so I could have pursued a degree in that if I didn’t get the engineering course.
Did your parents play any role in your career decisions?
Yes. Even though they agreed with my choice and never interfered with our personal career choices or individual preferences, they did counsel us thoroughly.
What was your performance like in primary and secondary schools?
I was above average in my primary school and the least position I had then was 4th position. It got worse when I got to secondary school because I became very playful. I played to the extent that I was no longer interested in class activities; I wasn’t reading, and expectedly, my performance dropped. However, I got my bearing back when I got to SS1 and since then, I maintained an excellent performance.
That means you are a product of hard work?
Yes. I am what I am by the grace of God. I believe all individuals have the genius trait in them because there are certain things we do with relative ease than others. I would say hard work brought out the genius in me and the hard work was self-driven. I had something I was working towards so I didn’t need any coercion to work hard. Personal goal is essential.
Did you have any difficulty in securing admission?
Not really. The first school I applied to did not release my post UTME result, so I was denied admission, but getting admission into UNIBEN was relatively easy because I met the requirements and the process was fair.
Was there any challenge(s) as a fresh student in 100L?
Except for the challenge of adapting to the new environment, including living away from my parents for the first time, having to balance the demands of my lectures with the need for personal studies and the problem of cooking my meals, among other things. Other challenges were negligible. I was able to address those issues on time, so, my performance right from the first year was excellent and satisfactory. I had first class from my 100 level to 500 level. So I was encouraged to press further.
Which part of your course did you love most?
The part I enjoyed most was Principles of Electromagnetism because of its abstract nature and the level of mathematics involved.
Did you ever see engineering as difficult?
The truth is that engineering is demanding, just like the drawings, it only requires patience and a lot of practice to be good at it. However, I don’t think that should be a problem for anyone who truly wants a career in the field because nothing good comes easy and every course has its challenges. It is not as tough as people make it look.
For the benefit of those who may have interest in the course, what is Electrical Electronics Engineering all about?
It is simply the application of the principles of electricity to design and build systems that would solve existing problems and improve the wellbeing of humans.
What kept you going to sustain such performance throughout?
My parents have so much belief in education, hence, they committed so much to my studies and to my siblings’ and I would not want to joke with their efforts. Secondly, most of my friends were very studious, so, the Bible passage that says, “He that walketh with the wise shall be wise,” worked for me because they influenced me greatly. Finally, the standard of living in my family is not the type I would like to continue with, thus I could not toy with any opportunity to better the lives of my family members and that of myself. The joy that my performance brought to my parents encouraged me to do better. Suffice to say the only challenge I had was financial as I had to invest heavily in my studies and survive on the little funding I received from my parents. It was worth it.
What was your typical day like as an undergraduate?
It was not really regimented. It revolved around class, personal studies and church. I did not have a definite number of hours for sleeping or reading but I made sure I read for at least six hours daily. I didn’t deny myself of good sleep, in fact, I rarely stayed awake all night unless there was a good reason to, and my reading hours increased as exams approached. My reading pattern wasn’t rigid; I read when it was convenient.
How often did you use the library?
I rarely used the library. In fact, I only did library registration twice unlike when I was in secondary school that library was like my second home because I didn’t have enough money to buy textbooks, I didn’t have a laptop where I could have stored ebooks and the distraction at home was much. So, I used the library then and most of my accomplishments in the university were the results of the foundation I laid during my secondary school days.
Were you involved in other school activities?
Yes, I was actively involved in my campus fellowship right from my 100L and at the end of 300L, I became the fellowship coordinator. It was not easy combining academic work with such a leadership position, but I thank God. As an active member of my department and faculty associations, I was once awarded the contract to construct some electric extension boxes in the faculty by the then president of the faculty.
What was your happiest moment in school?
I had many of such moments, but I think the main was the day I saw my complete 500L results. It was joy unspeakable when I discovered I achieved the goal I had set in the beginning of that session which was to have a 5.0.
What are your plans and aspirations?
I want to pursue a Master’s degree in Control Systems and Instrumentation or Electromagnetism and Wireless Communications. I’m also looking forward to setting up an engineering firm and an institute that will discover and develop competent engineers and scientists. I will still further my education to have a Ph.D in engineering.
Is there anything you would have loved to do as a student that you could not do?
Yes. I would have loved to travel overseas on a tour of other engineering faculties.
As a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering, what would you like to contribute to your field?
My drive has always been to discover new principles and invent new devices, thus, I intend to proffer solutions to the problems facing the field through innovative design and discoveries.
Where would you like to work?
My course of study has placed me where I have something to offer to any industry, be it in the power sector, telecommunication, oil and gas, manufacturing, banking sector, etc. With that, I would love a place where my potentials can be maximised.
What is your advice to students?
I advise them to imbibe the habit of goal setting, diligence, persistence and most importantly, having the right attitude. Students should not read just to pass exams, rather, they should read to learn and apply the things learnt to solving practical problems. In other words, they should pursue excellence and success will follow.

No comments: