adsense

Sunday 25 January 2015

My wife, secret of my success — Quadri


   

 

 

Aruna Quadri
Nigeria’s number one table tennis star, Aruna Quadri, was amazing in 2014, rising from 237 to 30 in the world rankings before emerging the ITTF Star Player of The Year. He talks about his heroics and more in this interview with ’TANA AIYEJINA
How do you view the ongoign African championships in Cairo and do you think Nigeria can post an impressive performance in Egypt?
By the grace of God, I am looking forward to a better outing in Cairo as I strongly believe that I can still improve and do even better than before. I have never won an individual event in the African championships before but I hope to do that by God’s grace this time around. Retaining our top spot in Africa is another objective and priority for me and the entire Nigerian team and we will give our best to make our country proud. We have worked hard for the event.
Last year, you were rated 237 in February before you made the top 30 list of the world’s best players. How would you describe this meteoric rise in 2014?
It was a great year for me. My rise was due to hard work, self-discipline, self-confidence and determination. Actually, this was why I succeeded last year. Again I must confess that I was lucky to win the heart of our (Nigeria Table Tennis Federation) president, who sponsored me to some international tournaments last year. This really helped in improving my game and ranking in the world.
As somebody who grew up from humble backgrounds in Oyo, how did you feel when the International Table Tennis Federation named you the Star Player of The Year for 2014?
Words can’t describe how I felt that day. I was so happy despite the fact that some people felt I couldn’t win it, while others said I deserved it after my performances in 2014. It’s God’s doing and not my power. It was like a dream to me because I never thought this could happen in my career; that I could be named ahead of the top players in the world of table tennis.
Has the award put you under pressure or has it given you confidence to do even more?
As a matter of fact, somehow it has put me under pressure but at the same time, I believe this will also help in bringing out the very best in me. I am working harder now than before and I believe that I can still improve and do better. I must respond these days to pressure because all eyes are on me. Happily, I know God is there for me.
How did you feel representing Nigeria for the first time in 2007?
I was so happy to represent Nigeria for the first time in 2007; in fact it was a dream come true then. Now, working harder and harder has really helped me in making me a better player and still keep my place in the national team till this moment. I can still remember vividly in 2006, when my performances at some local tournaments convinced the national coach, Babatunde Obisanya, to invite me to the senior team and I have performed up to expectations ever since.
What are the major challenges facing you and other Nigerian table tennis players?
There are so many problems that Nigerian table tennis players have to contend with. Getting sponsors for the sport or players remains the biggest problem to all of us. We can’t improve if we don’t play at international tournaments regularly. And this is actually affecting the federation in trying to nurture new talents. We also lack youth developmental programmes because this involves a lot of funding and without it, no new talent can be discovered. I will give kudos to the present federation president and its members for bringing the game back almost to the level it used to be in the past. I think with more support, Nigerian table tennis will retain its top spot in Africa.
Quadri with his 2014 ITTF Star Player of The Year award
You are married to a table tennis player, Ganiat. What influence does she have on your career?
My wife has been one of the reasons I have succeeded because she knows so much about the game. Sometimes she acts as my coach, correcting my errors in almost all the matches I play and giving me advice. Honestly, this has really helped me today. I am so lucky to have her as a wife because without her giving me the opportunity to travel up and down, I might not have succeeded. She is like a mother to me; she prays all day for my success and kudos to her. I truly appreciate the kind of support I am getting from her.
After the exit of your coach in Portugal, you played the role of coach/player at GD Toledos. Are you hoping to become a coach when you retire in future?
Absolutely I am not ready to be a coach in the future because I’m not that good in the coaching aspect of the game. Anyway, who knows what tomorrow will bring? But I have never thought of becoming a coach in future after I retire as a player.
What are your best and worst moments so far?
As a matter of fact, there have been several best and worst moments for me since I became a table tennis player. However, my best ever moment was in 2014 in Dubai, after I was named the Star Player of The Year. My worst moment was when I was injured and I could not play table tennis for about two months.
Who is the toughest opponent you have played against?
My toughest opponent so far is the German Patrick Baum. I do have a lot of problems in receiving his services and this is the reason I lost against him two times consecutively. I hope to be better when I play against him again and take my revenge. Because of him, I have been working even harder on my service reception.
Who has been your major inspiration as a table tennis player?
My major inspiration in table tennis so far is the Belgian Jean Michel Saive because of his ability and great potential to entertain the crowd in tournaments.
You played in Iran before moving to Portugal. How would you describe your experience playing abroad?
If I should compare the level I am now as a table tennis player to when I was in Nigeria, I will tell you playing abroad over the years has really improved my game. Everywhere I have played abroad, I have access to modern facilities and this is one of the major reasons I have succeeded thus far. I am always busy playing tournaments during weekends and this keeps me stronger and fitter. Today, my six years in professional table tennis has materialised and I give thanks to God for his unlimited favour over me.
African sportsmen and women often complain about racism in Europe. Have you been a victim?
It’s true that racism exists but I have never experienced that since I began my career in Europe.
Fame comes with attention from women. How have you been able to cope with female admirers?
It’s true that women are inevitable but they are avoidable if one knows what he wants to achieve in future. I have set future targets for myself and I don’t want to be distracted. I always pray that no woman will disturb my career in moving to the greatest height and may God help me to withstand and overcome their seduction.
Egyptian duo Omar Assar and El-Sayed Lashin have been amazing. Do you think Nigerian players have what it takes to match these players?
I think with our performances last year, we presently have a great side who can withstand the Egyptians and the rest of the African countries. The results in the next couple of days in Cairo will determine who is Africa’s best.
If you were not a table tennis player, what would you have been?
I guess I would have been involved with athletics because I was a little bit good in the 100m and 4X100m relays while in primary school. But I changed to table tennis because I noticed I could get a secured future in table tennis than athletics.
SOURCE: PUNCH.

No comments: