adsense

Sunday 19 May 2013

I count my success in my wife, children... —Bimbo Manuel

  • Written by  Segun Adebayo
  • Sunday, 19 May 2013 00:00
(2 votes)
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 Bimbo Manuel, is no doubt, a bundle of talents; a producer, broadcaster, actor, writer and also a director. The graduate of Theatre Arts from University of Port-Harcourt, in this interview with SEGUN ADEBAYO, speaks about President Jonathan’s N3 billion largesse for the entertainment industry, his career and other issues. Excerpts:
You have managed to avoid this interactive session for almost a year now, what would you say is responsible for this?
I rarely talk to the press, because the bulk of the entertainment press wants to discuss trivialities when there are great issues of nationalism, social impact issues, matters that hold the potential to advance humanity . Most times, all they seem interested in is who is your wife? Have you been unfaithful? Are you going out with a close friend they have seen you with? How many children you have and all sorts.

But you are a broadcaster, and you still avoid the press...
Yes indeed. As I said above, I do. Deliberately. I have to be protective of the, people I hold dear, the name I inherited and the ones I have given my children.
You have been around for a while, but you hardly feature in blockbuster movies like some of your colleagues. Despite your low appearance, you have been adjudged one of the best brains in the industry, what is it about your style that makes you to remain relevant?
I assure you there is nothing magical about that. I grew up in environments where integrity and pursuit of excellence were actively encouraged. I started work in broadcasting with the Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation (OGBC), where I met some of the most amazing professionals I ever had the good fortune of working with: Baba Balogun, who would not let the mispronunciation of a native name pass; Ayo Sulaiman, who taught me pride in broadcasting; Sesan Ekisola from whom I learnt that your first duty as a broadcaster is a deep sense of responsibility; Femi Sowoolu, who is probably the trickiest guy on radio and has been for decades; they just don’t seem to be able to do anything about the guy...absolute professionalism. Besides, I studied under the great Ola Rotimi, who, with exacting standards, raised us all of that generation of theater artists to be dedicated to our art and be professional in the delivery of our artistic duties. Above all, from a friend of mine, Enahoro Oiseomaye, I understood that you can establish a standard for yourself and say ‘NO’ to anything less but still trusting that God will make a way. He has not failed yet.

Some people see you as too serious to be an actor, but you have been in the business for many years...
Being too serious will be a matter of perception and I can take that as a compliment. But being serious-minded has nothing to do with your ability to be a good actor. Bimbo Manuel is totally different from the characters I play and my personality and experiences in life have been major influences on my craft. And who knows maybe those who think I’m too serious are upset that I am not conforming to their preconceived image of the actor as an unserious member of society. Some, maybe, feel so because they feel intimidated. Any number of reasons and while I have no apologies for that I must reassure all those who feel that I am arrogant that nothing can be farther from the truth. I have big dreams; I chase high ideals and my perceptions of issues are driven by an obsession to leave a mark. That may have unknowingly made me seem distant but I am a friendly, playful person.

The movie Heroes and Zeroes was rated top and it won some notable awards; what was the experience like on set?
It was an experience of a lifetime. It was tedious but all the work paid off in the end. We got six nominations and won four; best editing, best screenplay, best director and best picture. That is awesome. I was nominated in the best actor category.

What attracted you to the script when you got it?
I was attracted by a number of things, but the unusual story-telling technique, simple story and great approach were so appealing. I couldn’t put it down at first reading and then, it got more interesting when I enquired and got a list of the people I would be playing with; the director, the crew. You don’t spend this many years in the industry and not be able to tell a winner when you see it.

Is it true that starring in the movie fetched you a fortune?
[Laugh] Abeg, o! See where I live. The furniture? Look at me; do I look like someone who earned a fortune?
But you were not paid peanuts like some producers pay their cast…
 Not that it was also peanuts, but it probably is not anything near the figures you may have heard. No, nothing fantastic. And the producer is my friend. He would never have paid me what I deserved, that guy!

Before you starred in the movie, rumours were rife that you had quit acting; what brought you back?
Now that is shocking! Who are the people? I never left acting. From the beginning of my career, I have always been choosy and I may not have played in as many movies as some, I never quit and I have always done quality. Don’t they see me as Dan Ade Williams on Tinsel everyday? I’m on MNET everyday, man! And Bimbo Sola Conbnect on LTV...that is seen everywhere in Nigeria! I no go anywhere.

How did your journey into TV broadcasting and movie production start?
Ah! That’s a long one. I had gone to Ibadan to spend time with a childhood friend, Bayo Adekoya, and there was another friend who was staying with him, who in the course of a chat just said ‘you know you should go to OGBC and see if you could get on radio, you will do well...’ That was Bayo Animashaun and so, indeed, I went, had an audition and voila, I was on my way to becoming a broadcaster. Those days, no one would let you near the microphone till you have sat in the studio understudying the big guys. I was told I was going to do three months understudying and probation. But in one month, I got my first go at the microphone when the guy on duty, I think that was Femi Sowoolu, told me to say the time. Those days, you must script everything you intend to say and log everything that happens on your duty.    I said the time, textbook style and they gave me more challenges after that. The rest is history. Talking about my sojourn into movie, I actually studied Theatre Arts and only got into movies because there were not enough stage performances to pay the bills. Then I would go into NTA tele-movies, At Your Service, by the late Lai Arasanmi and Ifeanyi Antafulu, Sparks by Danladi Bako, Village Headmaster when Tade Ogidan was in charge and so very many others.

How much were you paid those days?
They were paying us between N20 and N80 per episode then and you could carry your pink form around for eons! I think the highest I ever got paid by NTA was N120, but I can’t remember which job now.

You were said to have started as a disc jockey, why the change of focus?
Those days, we were just fooling around. All of us loved music and played some incredible music those days! and we were broke half the time. So we would organise parties. I would play the music and that was how it all started. I went on from there to OGBC but not as a disc jockey. I was more a duty continuity announcer and newscaster then, what you call on-air personality now.  We didn’t have all those fancy names then. The late Femi Fashina, the Bionic Boogie Man, would usually be on my duty Friday night and what fun we had playing music together and all. I went on to have my own daytime later. I knew at that time that I wanted more, so when I got a chance to move on, I did but not before a stint at the Ogun State Television. I met some great people there too like, Remi Adetayo, Bayo Adebiyi, who gave me my first stare into the television camera lens.

What actually do you stand for?
Do something with your life. Cause effect on the lives of others. It may not necessarily be gargantuan but it should be of such impact that after you are gone, they will genuinely miss you. This is what I stand for, affecting people, situations to effecting solutions, positive change of direction.

Rising to fame is one thing, managing the recognition is another thing which, sadly, most Nigerian celebrities are missing today, what would you say you have been able to set right that the current crop of celebs are missing?
I am unable to compare myself to anyone. We all have different objectives, different routes to get to where we are headed. I can’t really say what any celebrity has done wrong, because I am not privy to what drives them.

How were you able to handle the low moments of your life those days?
I dream like all creative people but I am also firmly planted in realism, enough to know that there will be those lows just as it was certain there would be those highs. I didn’t have any previously worked out plan. The fact that the day would break certainly has proven enough to take me through those dim days. That is the God angle.

 It was rumoured  some time ago that you stopped getting roles because you charged producers exorbitantly. Should starring in movies come with such a high price?
Do I deserve to get paid for what I feel I should? That prerogative remains mine and I do not think anyone should make any big issue of what my financial demands are. However, having said that, I must be quick to state that I never had any issue with anyone over payment. I may have disagreed with some over quality and, for that, I have no apology. But money?  Not that I remember. But that is also not to say that I will, not turn down an insulting offer.

 What would it cost to have your face in a movie?
That depends on the story. The demands of the role and other considerations are also very important to me.

You have managed to keep your family away from the public glare; Are you also scared?
I just manage to keep away from people like you.

Despite being a veteran, it is on record that you hardly produce movies. Has this got to do with lack of finance or bad market, which some of your colleagues have continued to blame their inability to produce movies on?
My story is probably not different from the countless others you have heard. Piracy, lack of funds, poor distribution structure won’t allow me to produce movies that I want. But I think we are beginning to surmount some of the major challenges now.

The N3billion largesse that is said to be tearing the industry apart with different groups springing up every day to have a share in what they described as the ‘national cake’, what’s your take?
We are all holding our breath. The government is still thinking about how to, when to and who to give the money to. There are some industry stakeholders working with the Minister of Finance on the final details of all that. I do wonder why government would first announce the availability of fund before it starts to think of what to do with it and the processes that ensure it gets to those who will actually put it to intended and maximum use.

Is money the major solution the industry needs to move forward?
Money will surely be useful in any industry but money without purpose, money that is not leaving the treasury with assurance that it will return, money that is not going into a controlled environment where structures are supported by clearly articulated government policies that will assure the protection of practice and practitioners, I do not think we need government money. We need government policies, good regulation, and strong enforcement of existing laws that deter disincentive to investment in the industry and then we can talk to the banks and investors and they will listen. This money that government is giving is ‘sara’...it is ‘blessing’ to some people.

Knowing that that there is no gratuity in this kind of business, how are you preparing for life after this phase?
We don’t retire in my business. No gratuity. Yes, but we don’t retire.

 How do you like to smell?
Like a million bucks! I love perfumes. I buy a lot of them.

 Where is your favourite hangout?
I don’t have any. I have been in a few, but I don’t go out so often that I have a favourite place.

How successful are you?
I am content. I count my success in the victories I have won through the grace of God, in my children and a great wife. I count my successes in my friends...not in cars and houses or the number of travel ticket stubs I can brandish. I think I have cause to be thankful to God.

No comments: