adsense

Saturday 25 August 2012

Cynthia Osokogu's Dad Speaks

 


It has been a terrible reality for people all over to deal with rye circumstances that led to the death of the late 24 years old Cynthia Osokogu. The media buzz has been overwhelming, with various angles to the story. But for me the bottomline is the fact that a young promising life was cut short in its prime and that makes you question a lot of things.
I question trust and when to draw the line, I question the social media and the dread of taking virtual friendship into reality.
But there is no clear demarcation as some have made great friends , amazing budiness deals and even found life partners via social media, unfortunately Cynthia was not so lucky...she met the wrong people.The Vanguard put up an interview with the dad, and I thought to share even as I wish Cynthia ,whose death taught us all something sad and real eternal rest.
When did the message finally get to you that she was missing?
That should be about the end of July. Immediately they called me and they told me her car was there and some of her belongings, they wanted to return them to my house for safe-keeping, then I said okay they should bring them. I gave them the description and they brought the items.
When they came, I told them that returning the items was just not enough, that they had to go to the police to make some statement so that we keep it while we are still looking for my daughter because at this time we didn't have a clue of what had happened. They agreed. So, we drove off to Gwarimpa Police Station because they live in Gwarimpa and that was the last point that my daughter must have travelled from.
We went to Gwarimpa Police Station. They made statement and the Gwarimpa Police Station referred us to the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) FCT since they have the technological know-how to track missing persons, missing telephone, coordinating or whatsoever. They gave us quick passage to SARS. We went to SARS, they made statement too.
The SARS swung into action. So, the search started in earnest. I think the police did a good job under the circumstance, at least in arresting those suspects. If anything to prevent them from causing more havoc. I also want to commend all those who by visits and calls sympathised with us. I must mention the Sultan of Sokoto, the Lagos Police Commissioner, the area commander in Festac Town, all the service chiefs, the Obis of Owa, Ute-Okpu, Otolokpo and Ute-Ogbeje kingdoms, the Chief of Staff to Delta State governor and all the generals serving and retired and colleagues too numerous to mention, who have identified with us in these trying moments and I say may God bless them all.
What memories do you have of her?
Oh, she was a very good girl, very serious, very focused. She had done very well. She finished her youth corps at about the age of 22. She had never been lagging behind. So, I was very confident that she was full of promises, full of potential. So, we didn't have any problem with her.
Are you gradually coming to terms with the loss?
It is devastating, it is incomprehensible. Our consolation is that well when something happens, you just take it with equanimity the way it comes. What cannot be helped must be endured. I believe too that the situation that is unfolding is a big lesson for other youths that are coming up. They have a lot of lessons to draw why they should not, just be chatting with strangers on facebook, internet or BlackBerry or whatever and then decide to go visiting them. So, I think that was the capital mistake in this episode. So, those youths must learn a lesson from what had happened. If they do, I will be consoled too that they have saved some other lives.
-culled from the Vanguard

No comments: