adsense

Sunday 29 December 2013

I never knew I would become a musician – Omawumi

ADVERTISEMENT
Omawumi Megbele launched into the industry  after being pronounced first runner up in the 2007 edition of  the West African Idols. In this interview with JOAN OMIONAWELE, she talks about her private life and musical career.
Where would you say you got your voice from?
I really don’t know. I have always been singing. I got a lot of influence from growing up in a large house, so I found myself always singing and entertaining them.

While growing up, did you have an inkling that you would get to this stage?
I did not even know I was going to be a musician.

What were you then thinking of becoming?
I wanted to be a teacher, but I never knew music was going to be a major career for me. I thought it was going to be a pastime. I did not think for one second that it would be my means of livelihood.

You released your album Lasso of truth at the middle of the year. What was the reception like?
Well, I am awed at the response I have gotten. I did not expect the kind of overwhelming response I got from my fans. Every music lover has a song in that album that they can identify with. Just yesterday, I heard someone singing a song that I felt was not popular and I felt really good. It just gives me the desire to do more.

You also had four major deals this year....
This year has definitely been a good year. I believe that God has a hand in everything. Even the Bible says that faith without works is dead.
We put in a lot of work in 2012 and it even shocked me, I did not expect it. The first one that came was Mortein. I felt so good about that; it wasn’t just an endorsement. I had something to do, and that was to give back as a mother, which was really reassuring as it exposed me to a lot of opportunities of reaching out to people. It made me to really understand what was happening as I had to really study hard and read about malaria and moreso, because it is a family brand.
Glo is also the only indigenous telecommunications company that shows it is proudly Nigerian,  and also Konga.com which is also an indigenous company that is trying to do something new and different. It’s not just about the money coming in. No be say money dey like that o; no go talk say money dey o, you know say I no be like all those people wey dey shout money money. I just know say I dey endorse brand. It’s about being associated with brands that had made impacts on the lives of people. It shows the way I have been perceived or identified and I really feel honoured about it.

Coming up as a female in the music industry back then, what were your challenges?
I really don’t dwell on challenges. What you identify as challenges, I identify as a means to an end. I am an optimistic person; I believe in seeing the good out of every situation. If you put iron for fire and burn am, na there e go take shape. I don’t believe in zodiac signs but if you want to identify that I am an Aries, the symbol is a bull. I have my two horns, which get me going, not because of the accolades and the satisfaction that would come out of it, but at the end of the day, I have no expectations; I just do what I have to do and thank everyone for giving me the opportunity to do what I want to do.

In showbiz, one always has to look attractive and fit. What do you do to stay in shape?
I’m very lazy o (laughs). I have to tell you the truth. When people complain  that I have added too much weight, I would now run and hit the gym.

But you aren’t that big, though the screen makes you look so...
I am not above my weight limit. I can carry myself. I don’t believe I should be skinny, but exercising is hard work and hard work is not something you can force someone to get used to. The thing is when I think I should lose weight, I just go on a crash course of working out and eating right, even though it is very hard for me that grew up eating ‘swallow’. I am always very careful because it is not about living life but enjoying life.

There is so much competition among female celebrities in the industry at the moment. What is your relationship with them?
I have a very healthy relationship with everyone of them. I love them and get loved in return.  My colleagues would say I am a crazy,mad girl and a sweetheart. It would shock you, but I am an introvert,and I enjoy my quiet time. This doesn’t mean that I don’t rock, but my friends understand me. We might not talk for months, but when we do, the love is real.

Do your male fans let you rest at all?
Why na; wetin dey happen? They respect me a lot, and when some of them want something more, I always look for how to ‘friend zone’ them, or am I going to share my organ with the whole world? Whenever one says ‘I want this girl, I would want to have her’, I always tell them that it is better to have me as a friend.
Funny enough, even my male counterparts in the industry have viewed me as a younger sister. So, if as a guy you had already planned to corner me, the moment you meet me and we have a conversation, you would have a change of heart immediately.
If you were given a magic wand, what would you wish to change about yourself?
Nothing.

But everyone has a weakness...
Well, when I was growing up, there were a lot of things I wish I could change, but I have trained myself. The Bible says the joy of the Lord is my strength, which means that in all things, we should give thanks to God. You need to have a steady mind of celebration. Of course, there are one or two things that would make me sad; but there is nothing really to it other than being happy.
If I dey soak garri today, e no go pain me because I dey see food dey chop. The day I see fried rice, I go also thank God, rather than regretting the days of soaking garri, because my mentality is that the rich person who eats fried rice somewhere in the beach and the person soaking garri under the bridge have the  same blood flowing through their veins. We were all born the same way; why don’t I try to make the best of every situation I find myself?

What is your idea of style?
Style, to me, is comfort. I have tried my best to follow various trends, but I have realised that I am not a fashion icon, I am a musician. The day you see me put on something and you say you like Omawumi’s style, I would say ‘thank you’, but don’t be angry the day I come out looking like a masquerade. Be happy for me at least; I schooled in Warri. I had my primary and secondary education in Warri and went to Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, and you can say make I dey overdo, wetin I do you, I resemble oyinbo? God, I beg o.
I am happy with myself and I am happy that I am trying. I am a musician. Of course I need to look attractive for people to buy my music and enjoy it, but the thing about it is that I cannot give that full concentration because I believe that what you enjoy about me is my music.

When you have to go for shows and rehearsals at night, how do you keep up being a mum?
My daughter is in my hotel room as we speak; I just know how to manage it. I do the regular school runs in the morning. I have a loving family around me. Her father is around and we do the work together. I spend quality time with my daughter, because nothing in the world is more important than that, apart from God.

No comments: