adsense

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Femi Adebayo: Like Father, Like Son


Femi-AdebayoWHEN people want to describe the versatile actor and producer, Olufemi Lateef Adebayo prior to his incursion into the movie industry, they simply say he is son of the veteran actor and filmmaker, Chief Adebayo Salami a.k.a Oga Bello. But today, the Law graduate is well regarded as one of the most sought after actors in the Yoruba divide of the Nigerian movie industry.
    Believed also to be one of the highest paid actors of that sector of the industry, many people attribute Femi’s success as an actor and producer to the fact that he is son of the legendary Oga Bello who is clearly a pioneer of the home video industry and one of those with a distinguish and remarkable career on stage, on the big screen (during the days of celluloid films) and on television.
  But to some informed observers, even though his being a son of Oga Bello has been an asset in his profession, Femi’s success in the make-believe industry is largely due to natural talent and hard work. The star of Jelili and Alakorun admits that being born to a huge star as Chief Adebayo is a plus but he adds that he would not have been able to survive for this long if he didn’t have the talent and the ability to act.
   In fact, he admits that he secured his first role in the big budget movie, Owo Blow before the foremost producer and director knew that he was Oga Bello’s son.  Femi who is popular as Jelili, an alias he earned after he interpreted delightfully the role of Jelili in a movie of same title, also admits that it was after he secured the role in Owo Blow that he informed his dad of his interest to hit the road running all by himself.
   “So my dad never knew I attended an audition until I got the role, not to talk of giving me a note to someone. It is only after I may have secured the role then, that I am asked to mention my name that they know that I was born by the veteran actor and producer and what they normally would say is that they are not surprised and that is also because daddy was good. So, I thank him for giving us a good name that has helped us in so many ways”, he said.
   Star of Oba-Elesan and Baba-Ologba where he again proved his versatility, the award winning actor and producer who hails from Ilorin in Kwara State, has no doubt firmly registered his name on the list of outstanding actors and producers of the Yoruba language movie sector. Femi is clearly a darling of the huge movie crowd that, that sector has built over time. In fact, he has proved over time that he could be relied upon as an actor and also as a producer.
   Born into a polygamous home, Femi shot into limelight after the movie by Tade Ogidan, Owo Blow was released. His effort in the movie was crowned with a nomination and eventual winning at the 1996 edition of the defunct The Movie Award (THEMA). Femi was named Best Upcoming Actor of the Year at that edition of THEMA. Things took a new turn for him from there. Even though he was in school then, producers sought him out and wanted him in their movies. Daddy looked the other way but because Femi was still in school, Chief Adebayo insisted that he must remain focused so as not to be distracted since he was still in school.
   “Daddy had no problem with whatever we wanted to do as a profession. He just wanted to us to be well educated and so he made education a priority. But daddy was not the type that insisted that I must study Theatre Arts. He allowed me study Law and never objected to my wanting to be an actor”, he said.
   An alumnus of the University of Ilorin where he studied Law, by the time Femi left Law School, he was already a celebrated actor. The actor who also attended Kwara State Polytechnic could not resist the temptation of accepting movie scripts. He then ‘jettisoned’ the idea of practicing law full time and took a deep plunge into the entertainment industry.
    He has not worn a wig and gown since then even though he admits that he is into some form of legal practice “I am still a lawyer. It is the litigation aspect that I don’t do. But I do the property aspect and I have a number of clients. Generally, I think I found a number of opportunities I could explore in the entertainment industry so I seized it and I must say that it was not a bad idea after all”, he said.
   A busy actor who has also signed some big budget productions as producer, Idanwo as one, Femi has lost count of the numbers he has featured in. “I have stopped counting. It is difficult to keep tab because of the rate we work here”, he explained.
    Femi would not say which movies he considers challenging or memorable but would simply say that all the movies he has featured in and produced including Oba-Elesan, Tojo - terun, Baba - Ologba, Idanwo, Ole, Inu, Orija ju Ogun, Ogologo, and Fitila, Ile are memorable.
   A very quiet person who does not enjoy external lifestyle and who his close friends describe as humble, friendly and unassuming, Femi is overwhelmed by the weight of being one of the recognizable faces in the Nigerian motion picture industry. He however battles not to allow the so many awards he has won including the City People Entertainment Award and the Afro-Hollywood Award, which he received in 2012 in the United Kingdom get to his head.
    “If awards and recognition come, we accept them but I am not one who would allow it get into my head or make me loose track”, he said.
   However, one aspect of being a celebrity that Femi says he has mastered, is the art of coping with the attention he gets from his numerous fans, especially female fans. He explains that it does not really affect him. “No, it does not. I have crazy fans but I know how to handle them. I draw the line once they are going beyond bounds”.
   Though born into a polygamous home, Femi says he has no plans of being a polygamist. “I am satisfied with the wife God has given me and I must say that I am blessed with a loving wife who also understands the kind of job I do”.
  Does Femi have a romantic relationship with co-actress Funke Akindele? It was widely rumoured that Femi was considering ‘dumping the mother of his three children’ for the actress who is now separated.  Femi, who makes his first big debut in an English movie in Kunle Afolayan much anticipated movie, October 1 posted a ‘No’ as reply and reiterated that he sees Funke Akindele as an intelligent and talented sister.
   “You see, all those things they write about me are tales. They link me with ladies just so as to sell their papers. Sometimes they create problems on their pages between my wife and I, when there is no problem. I cannot be romantically linked to anyone else when I am married”, he says.
   Femi’s goals are high and he says he is working hard so as not to loose sight of his ultimate ambition.  He wants to put a lot of energy into the art, even though there are strong indications that Femi wants to join the league of entertainment personalities like Richard Mofe Damijo and Afam Okereke who have dabbled into politics. Femi has reportedly been shuttling between Lagos and Ilorin to actualize his ambition of holding political office. Is this a rumour still? “No comment”, he replied, chuckling.
    “But honestly, it is beginning to look as though it is time for me to represent my people at any level of governance. I have this strong urge to serve my people. Even though I have been serving them through the arts, it is time I think one takes a step further to contribute to the political development of my people”, he said.

No comments: