adsense

Sunday 14 July 2013

My mum never wanted me to be a writer –Obi Martins

  • Written by  Segun Adebayo
He is one writer whose profile is rising steadily in the entertainment industry. Though, his mum wanted him to study law, Obi Martins, one of Nigeria’s youngest script writers is already making waves on the path he chose against her mum’s wish. Martins is the brain behind the popular soap opera and stage plays like: April fool, which featured Yaw and Owen Gee; Secrets of Yesterday (stage); T2wo Can Play (Stage), Shine (Tv series), Dialogues of The Dead, HB; Kayefi, YOU and others. In this interview with SEGUN ADEBAYO, the graduate of Theatre Arts, Lagos State University, speaks about his passion for writing and his continuous rise in the industry.
With just five years on this trade, you have been able to work with some of the prominent artists in the industry. How were you able to find your way into their minds?
Honestly, there is no other way to describe that but to say God first; my style of presentation which is the plot and my works which they have seen. I said God first because these people have seen and met writers before they would have met me. These people know where and how to get the best of writers that have started before me. I am not saying I am not the best or I am the best. But I know I am better than the best. Secondly, my style of presentation, which is the way I twist either my story for them to accept or theirs which they might have given to me to flesh out. As a scriptwriter, I am the number one audience of that particular story.
What do you think makes your story interesting?
What makes your story stand out and interesting is the style you apply and what is the style? The way you have decided to tell the story.
Working with them must have come with its condemnations and praises, didn’t you feel too young handling some of the big jobs you have done before now?
Life itself has challenges and appraisals. It is not only about the big shots I write for or has written for. Any creative work is tasking, most especially scriptwriting or writing in general. For the praises, people don’t know and wouldn’t want to know how the burning of the midnight candles went. All that matters to them is the end product which evokes the appraisal. Talking about being too young handling the jobs, that question sounds funny. There was never a point I felt that anyway. The only thing I would tell you that came to me was, how hard and creative do I need to proof myself before this big shot that has contracted me. I am not talking about impression because that is where I will automatically fail it. Why would I want to impress a client? Let the job speak for me.
Which of the jobs gave you the break and how were you able to notice it was coming your way?
Huh! That should be April fool, which featured Yaw and Owen Gee. A stage play though. It was a very big break for me. I owe it to Yaw (Steve Onu) of Wazobia FM. It catapulted me. It sold me to the world. That opportunity was something I will forever be grateful of. I saw it coming which I said to myself, if I can’t give it to them there, I wouldn’t be able to give it to them again. To the glory of God, it went well and is still going on well. Though, I had been writing from my university (department of Theatre Arts, Lagos State University, Ojo) days with one of my lecturers, now a Phd holder and currently the Head Of Department, Dr. Tunji Azeez, who despite the fact that he was teaching me playwriting, was also taking me out to write television series.
You write for radio, stage production and screen and content development, how did it all start?
Honestly, all these did not just start in a day. You know, before my first degree in Theatre Arts, I started with Diploma in Radio, Tv and Film Production. One thing is for you to go to school and learn it, another thing is for you to have interest and love for what you are learning. I have been a lover of the arts right from my childhood. I started practicing theatre at the age of 13. I love it and have passion for it, I decided to join a performing theatre troupe known as Ayota Performing Troupe.
Starting for some people could be very challenging, especially in this kind of environment, what were some of the teething challenges that shaped your thinking?
When nobody was ready to open my script. Trying to convince people that I am a scriptwriter. I remember a certain time I took my script to someone. I was very happy going to show that person that I have done something. Do you want to know what that person did to me? He threw my script away before my very eyes. What came out of his mouth was, what do you know about scriptwriting? With this and many others, it was enough for me to quit.
Could you tell us some of the scripts you have written and what does it cost to write quality scripts?
I have written enough o! Secrets of Yesterday (stage), T2wo Can Play (Stage), Shine (Tv series), Dialogues of The Dead, HBD, April Fool, The Bar (Yaw and Funke Akindele), Owen Gee Skit and Sketches, Yaws n Myn (TV Sitcom), Kayefi, YOU, etc every scripts I write, I give my best, which makes them quality scripts. Irrespective of the amount I agree to write them for the client. There is no fix amount in writing scripts. It depends on how you put it before your clients and how the negotiation goes.
You graduated from the Department of Theatre Arts and Music, Lagos State University, could you tell us how life in school prepared you for what you do today?
It was hectic and tedious. The lecturers never gave room for laziness. Was it the practicals? Or the assignments that you must research on. Even when you give excuses, they will tell you a million and one students that had done it before you and will still do it after you. In all, there was this mutual relationship between students and lecturers. I always go to them to ask questions and also borrow books.
Parental influence on your career?
Yes! At first my mother never liked it. But when she saw me always writing, she had no option. Though, my mother wanted me to study Law, she said Hell NO!, to theatre arts, but unfortunately, she died when I was about gaining admission into the university.
The industry is growing in leaps and bounds with a lot of young creative writers springing up every day, how do you view your chances of remaining on top of your game?
Thank God you said the industry is growing which is what we are praying for. But the chances of me remaining on top of my game, so long I keep doing what I know is best, reading, researching and also observing my environment; which most importantly, holding tight on to God who is the Alpha and Omega. If He doesn’t approve, no matter how hard you may try, you aren’t going anywhere.
It has been argued that you are not always well paid by those who buy your scripts.How true is this?
The most important thing is that, you have agreed to the job either paid or not. As for me, I am fine with what I have agreed to collect.
Has your job ever been turned down?
Yes! I said it earlier.
What do you think was responsible for it?
I guess it didn’t fit into what they were looking for at that time.
Who actually turned it down?
You truly want to know who turned me down? Huh! Never mind.
How do you feel if people don’t appreciate what you do, do you feel bothered?
Yes of course. I am human. I definitely will feel so bothered. I will go back to the drawing board over and over again to find out where the fault has come from and why.
How sustainable is this job, compared to your colleagues who appear in movies?
There are high chances of sustainability. You just have to define your strength and understand what you are doing. Writing is a continuous thing. There are so many things to write about. Don’t forget, content is king.
Do you think young writers in the industry have a future as some of them believe that they are not being encouraged by the already made writers...
Don’t forget the industry is very big, growing every day by day with contents springing up. And who are the people behind the contents, writers. More so, the road will not always be smooth. Nobody has the right to stop anyone from rising except you want to stop yourself.
I don’t who the already made ones are like you have mentioned, but the few ones I have met, have given me the pat on the back.
What’s your relationship with other writers like?
With the ones I have met, no problems. Good and calm
Tell us about that experience that made you think you have chosen the right profession?
The day someone contacted me from Germany, someone I have never met before, that he saw a work of mine and would want me to write for him. It was a very good experience.
Should you stop writing tomorrow, what would you be doing?
Film making. That is another aspect I know I will definitely pursue.
What inspires you to write?
A lot of things inspires me to write. Books I read, movies I watch, and most especially, my environment. I tap from it a lot.
Where do you feel most comfortable to write?
In a room, library, etc
What was growing up like?
It wasn’t rosy at all. But I thank God for the journey so far.

No comments: