adsense

Friday 28 February 2014

I Just Lost My Job (Seriously) And 3 Reasons Why It’s The Best Damn Thing That Could’ve Happened




Three hours ago today, February 21st, 2014, I lost my job. The CEO that hired me was fired, a new CEO brought in and, like the Cleveland Browns every year, the regime cleaned house.
And it’s the best damn thing that’s happened in months!
Yes, I was pissed, took a hit to my confidence, and was starting to fear what the future would hold, but in the end I realized it was the best possible thing at this time.
You might be wondering why losing my job is such a good thing.
If you’re like most people, myself included, there’s probably something else you’d rather being doing with your life than what you’re doing now.
The problem is, it takes guts to actually go after what you want and the road is long and hard. But that’s also why I’m stoked to have the weight of this job off my shoulders.
I’m being forced to “have guts” and actually go hard after what I want, which is becoming an adventure travel TV host on a major network.
Think about what it would be like for you if you didn’t have to work where you’re at now, and you could just focus on doing what you love for a living.
Maybe that’s being a chef, tea shop owner, a fashion designer, or whatever it is that you’d rather being doing with your time.
Sometimes, though, our biggest obstacle to creating the life we want is the comfortable job that we have.
While it’s important to maintain some type of income as you work towards your life by design, there comes a point when you have to go all in.
I’m at that point now and I’m being forced to play my hand. Maybe you’re there, too.

Here are the 3 reasons why getting fired today was the best damn thing to happen in recent months:

Reason One: No More Excuses
We all make more excuses than we should for not doing what we say we’re going to do, and that prohibits us from realizing the life we desire.
I can no longer make the excuse, “well, I can’t work on becoming and adventure travel TV host because I have to work more at my day job.”
When you’ve been working on creating the life you’ve always wanted, like I have for the last few years, you’ll eventually have no more excuses as to why you’re not putting every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears into your life by design.
I just lost my job, and it just eliminated all of my excuses. It’s time to make shit happen.


Reason Two: Sense Of Urgency
It’s amazing how we humans lack a sense of urgency to get things done until there’s a deadline on us. Think about how much you get done the week before you leave for your 2-week vacation.
Same thing happens when you lose your job.
I’m not independently wealthy, so I can’t just sit back and take my good ol’ time. I only have a few months before I need to find another stream of income.
That means I need to kick it into high gear to get things done.
I just lost my job, and it finally created a deadline for me to do what I said I was going to do.


Reason Three: Forced To Create My Own Destiny
Most people want to be in control of where their lives are going. Sometimes you can do that with the company you’re at, but more often than not you’re at the mercy of someone else and no longer in control of your destiny.
I’ve been talking about creating a life by my own design for some time now, so it’s only appropriate that I walk that talk.
Today, I realized that someone else was determining my future, and that I don’t want someone else to having control of my future.
I just lost my job, and it’s forcing me to create my own destiny so that the only person I have to praise or to blame for my progress is myself.


Make no mistake about it; losing my job was not exactly a fun experience today.
After sitting back for a few hours and thinking through what it meant for me and the life I was trying to create for myself, it became apparent that I’m ready to go all in, I’m ready to do it now, and I’m ready to finish creating my own destiny.
Life has a funny way of throwing you curveballs, but if you’ve prepared yourself then you’ll have no problem smacking it out of the park.

Question: Do you have another reason why losing your job could be the best damn thing to happen? You can leave a comment by clicking here.

No comments: