adsense

Saturday 27 April 2013

My man must be hopelessly romantic —Biodun Koya

  • Written by  Segun Adebayo
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Abiodun Koya is a poet, composer, singer, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and songwriter. She loves recording movie soundtracks and has grown to be one of the very few African women who sing opera. In this interview with SEGUN ADEBAYO, Abiodun who was recently featured in the Americolor Opera Alliance’s presentation of LaRoche, shares the story of her life in this encounter. Excerpts:
Getting to this stage in your career as a woman, you must have paid a heavy price considering the fact that you have lived a good part of your life in the United States, could you share with us some of the experiences that shaped your life?
 Yes, it came with a very heavy price, but I’ve never compromised. The experiences I’ve been through during the course of my life, made me to be wiser than my age. I’ve experienced rejection, betrayal, utter lack and disappointments. I’ve been let down by people who made great promises and later found out they had ulterior motive thus causing me grief and heart aches. Through this, I met with God and started a one-on-one relationship with Him. This helped me to simply rely on Him to guide, protect and make ways for me. From there, He showed me his faithfulness and what he is capable of doing and I’ve found Him to be awesome! Because He was the only one I could cry to at the end of the day and feel instant relief, but amidst all, He always sent me reliable and constant helpers.

Why are you coming back to Nigeria now, are you tired of staying in the States?
No, I’m not tired of staying in the USA; I’m actually here to launch my sacred music album called “My Father’s Grace” and my poetry book, “The Moods of a Princess”. So, I’m visiting and hopefully I’d make more frequent trips here.

But many Nigerians are increasingly striving hard to leave the shores of the country in search of a greener pastures in the US...
Yes, I’m aware of that but in my case, I’ve found greener pastures overseas already because wherever the soles of my feet touch, I possess. However, full Nigerian blood flows through me so, I can’t forget home.

You are one of the very few African women who sing Opera, what led you into that type of music in the first place?
 It’s the type of upbringing that my parents gave to me and I just happened to coincidentally love that genre of music.

Have you considered the Nigerian market where your genre of music is not totally acceptable?
Opera is not the only genre of music I can sing. I sing jazz, sacred music, world music, classical pop, movie soundtracks and folk songs. But what I’ve noticed is that there are a vast number of Nigerians who are into classical music one way or the other. I was so surprised yet impressed and excited. So, there has been an overwhelming support and I’m thankful for that.

When you were growing up, what childhood fantasies formed your belief about what you are doing today?
To be on the global stage performing for huge multi-cultural audiences from the four corners of this planet. From when I was about six years old, I would write songs and wished the singers I heard on the radio could sing them. At that time I would ask my mum to stop at a radio station on her way from her office and drop off my songs for a particular singer I heard on radio days before. The reason is, then as a kid, I used to think all singers lived at the radio station

In which part of the country did you grow up before you left the shores of the country?
 I grew up in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State under the mentorship of my loving parents who are strong and devout Christians till today. They raised all their children to be independent and to adapt easily to any environment they found themselves in. They also taught us all how to cook and manage a home very well, whether you were a boy or a girl.  Being the last of five, when I was a kid, I was always tossed on the head by my older siblings to run errands for them. Eventually, I had to wriggle myself out of their bossy way by coming up with a smart way.

How did you achieve that as a kid, were you wayward while growing up?
I wasn’t wayward, but when they sent me on errand, may be to get them something to drink or eat, I’d spit saliva inside their drinks and shake it up and give it to them to drink. I was eventually caught doing that and since then, they knew it was better for them to go and get whatever they wanted themselves, but I’m sure my saliva was one of the things that got them strong and healthy till today. My siblings and I love each other and are so close that you’d think we are a group of five best friends. We were raised like that by our parents. So, I had a lot of fun and great childhood memories.

You are a poet, composer, singer, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and songwriter, which of these do you find doing easily?
 The fact is that I do all of these easily, because I get inspirations from God through His angels all the time. For instance, I hear music in my sleep and when I’m up. So, I sleep and wake up into ideas, inspirations and guidance.

How can you possibly juggle all these together, baring in mind that jack of all trades is a master of none?
If you’re being helped from above, anything is possible and effortless with effective and brilliant outcome. It’s only when you don’t have such assistance and support that you can then be called “ Honorable Mr Jack of all trades a.k.a Emperor of all things clumsy dynasty “

You have performed at some of the big gigs in the US, how has the experience been like?
It’s been an amazing and learning experience thus far.  It has also come with tremendous burden and pressure. But you keep moving, you know?

How were you able to find your way through to the big stage.
God, God and God!

When is Abiodun planning to settle down and would she ‘settle down’ with a Nigerian man?
First, I prefer to use the word ‘settle up’ instead of the word settle down. But you don’t even know if I have ‘settled up’ and I’m just private about it.  I always pray for God’s wisdom to deal with men because at the back of my mind, I know and understand that men can be sensitive when they are handled the opposite way, hence hurting their feelings and male ego. So what I do is I smile and tell them gently that I appreciate their interest so very much such that I’m flattered but then I’m already taken. Laughs...

What’s your kind of man like?
Oh my God! Let’s see… he’s God fearing, wise, responsible, peaceful, very funny, loving, hardworking, naturally a family man, supportive, thoughtful, generous and hopelessly romantic.

Do you have any unforgettable experience that you would love to  share?
I remember one time when I attended a board of trustees’ meeting. I was the youngest and the only female in there. So, when it was my turn to give a briefing, my stomach started rumbling and was making fart sounds like I was really farting. I was so embarrassed that, I sweated profusely! And of course, they all gave me that look and I shook my head saying Sirs, it’s not what it looks or sounds like.

How would you describe your fashion sense?
I love vintage, modern and anything with military and Elizabeth and influence.

Do you have any special beauty regimen?
I eat fresh fruits and pretty much have my beauty sleep and drink lots of water. Plus I don’t drink or smoke.

Who are your favourite designers both at home and abroad?
I love Oscar de la renta, Monique Lhuillier and Vince Camuto.

Choice of accessories…
Impeccable wrist watches and sunglasses would do.

Do you have any of those accessories you can’t do without?
I think both and my chapstick.

What is the craziest thing you can do for fashion sake?
Hmmm, none actually.

As a celebrity, do you have any special treat or beauty routine that makes you stay in shape?
I work out religiously and run three miles, twice a week. I’m hoping that would increase though. I watch what I eat and eat in small portions throughout the day.

Is there anything you would like to change about yourself?
Nope, nothing at all. I love everything about myself. I’m very grateful for that.

Why do you think most foreign female celebs go for plastic surgery and would you ever consider such?
No, I won’t consider such. However, if it makes them happy and boosts their confidence, so be it.

Who are your fashion Icons and what is it you won’t be caught dead wearing?
My fashion icons are Catherine Zeta Jones, Penelope Cruz, the late Princess Diana,  Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron to mention a few. I like to look feminine and elegant but anything too revealing won’t do it for me.

What’s your take on tattoo, piercing the body and provocative dressing?
You know people make choices from their desires and what they think would make them relevant or highly regarded. But it is not my taste and I don’t think highly of it

What’s the secret of your beauty?
I really don’t have any secret except that I focus more on my inner wellness. Because if that is taken care of, the outward appearance will be automatically nourished and will shine brilliantly. I love acquiring motivational books and recordings that teach on life and wise living. John Maxwell and Joyce Meyer are some of my favourites. I have a huge collection of such and I see them as my most valuable possessions.

No comments: