adsense

Friday 20 May 2016

LEPACIOUS BOSE …a story of commitment, optimism and results

Lepacious-Bose
LEPACIOUS BOSE is a Nigerian stand-up comedian, qualified lawyer and an EZSlim ambassador who is not only known for her humour but also for her long struggle with weight loss. She shares with KEMI AJUMOBI on her journey through this challenging but result showing process in this interview that bares it all.
Growing up
My parents were disciplinarians. They were tutors. We grew up in an environment where no matter how bad it was outside; there was always a home to return to. I grew up in a very academic environment which has helped in who I am. People tell me I quote my parents a lot and it is because of how they have impacted my life.
My love for Physiotherapy
I have always wanted to be a physiotherapist. Whenever there was a career talk in secondary school, the only person who inspired me was the Physiotherapist and I was very clear about it. I did my science subjects so well that my first and second choice was Physiotherapy. I did not see any other alternative because to me, no other alternative existed. I was upset with my dad for years for not using his connection to get me into Obafemi Awolowo Univesity, Ile-Ife even though I didn’t do well in one science subject. I had to do JAMB again and I chose Theatre Arts but my family wasn’t in agreement, to them, that wasn’t a ‘laudable’ course. My family filled my jamb form for me and registered me for Law and that was how I studied law at University of Ibadan.
My Major break in Lagos
Since I had studied theatre arts before at UI, I was already in a comedy group on campus which also produced plays and my brother was very supportive. When I was in UI, I was already a major person on the comedy scene. As far as UI was concerned, I was already a star so when I got to Lagos and found out I wasn’t known; it was a rude shock for me. The comedy industry was already thriving in Lagos. The process of building up a brand in Lagos was what I had to do. When Night Of A Thousand Laughs featured me, it was a major break for me in the papers.
My Weight loss journey
Three years ago, I had been thinking about life and everything my life was about especially as I was approaching a landmark age and I wondered if all I wanted to be famous for was to be the fat black girl. As I took inventory of my life, I was depressed and very unhappy and everytime I tried to trace the reason why I was unhappy, 50percent of it was my weight. I also had hormonal issues, my hormones were not balanced and I travelled out of the country to see a doctor. Most of the medications I was given made me increase my weight. It was a tough decision and the more I tried to lose the weight, the more I put on the weight, this was very frustrating. I travelled to see my in-law in Namibia and while in the room sleeping one night, my 10 year old nephew walked into the room, woke me up and asked if I was ok. I said I was and he asked again if I was sure I was ok and I asked why to which he responded that I was breathing funny in my sleep. I asked what he meant and he told me I was breathing like someone whose heart was about to stop and about to die. Coming from a ten year old, that was shocking. He hugged me and walked away and as he got to the door, he looked back at me and said, ‘ok Aunty, don’t die okay?’ and that was the turning point. I wept like I never wept before. He got to me in a way that several people who had been trying to help me couldn’t, some were aggressive in their approach, my brother for instance didn’t see why I should be making money for being fat. I prayed and prayed and asked God to help me because I did not know how to go about it. After that, information started coming my way and I started seeing things I was doing wrong. I opened a food diary…the biggest lie fat people tell themselves is that they do not eat much which is not true. My sister asked that I open a food diary and write down all I ate through the day even if it was water, you can go a step and write the time.
lepacious-bose-2
Tough journey but worth it
At the end of the day, I was amazed at the type of food that I had consumed… I will be in traffic and I will but two packs of plantain chips and ‘wash’ it down with a soft drink and meanwhile, that is not the main meal. The calories of plantain chips fried in oil per pack is about 5 so when I eat two packs I have had 10 calories already not to talk of the soft drink. I would still get home and eat food. I was telling someone recently that I went out to eat in a Chinese restaurant and by the time I got home, I was hungry again but how wouldn’t that happen anyway, we were eating and talking at the same time burning up the food we ate without knowing. How wouldn’t I be hungry when I get home? You walked pass the kitchen and ‘nibble’ on your left over meal you ate earlier in the day and that’s not yet your main food, you are boiling meat and you decide to take a whole piece to ‘taste’ to see if the meat is well cooked and that is not yet the main meal, you open the fridge and take a bottle of chilled soft drink, (not water), and that is not yet your main meal.
I would come back from a show almost at midnight, head to the kitchen and eat two packs of noodles with boiled eggs and back then, I would add chunks of meat because I couldn’t eat anything without meat not realising I was harming myself more harm than good. I realised that everything had to do with my mind so I decided to work on my mind and the more I worked on my mind the more I reduced in weight.
Initially at Namibia, my sister-in-law would make smoothies for me and soups too. She would always read the info on any pack before it was bought for me, when we go out to eat, she would order for healthy meals for me, it was like she took charge of my life, it was irritating to me back then but it was for my own good…as I continued, I observed that I started losing weight. I would wear a pair of jeans and it would fit, I would wear rings that were difficult to wear and it would fit.
When my brother and his wife went out, I would go to the fridge and indulge well and when they returned I would act like nothing happened…when I started seeing results, I was encouraged and gradually I stopped cheating.
I was in Namibia for 6weeks and I had started seeing results so by the time I came back to Nigeria, I was gingered. I used to wear a size 32 but I now wear a 14. There is no way you will lose weight and not feel more confident. You will definitely feel happier and healthier. The fact that you can work into a shop and see your size there is amazing. You don’t have to buy what you see but what you like, all that come together to build up my confidence. The more confident you feel, the more love you feel towards yourself.
Good company helped
Tolani my friend was very supportive, she got me all sort and I would purge my life out. There was even a time I had to take soda because my body needed sugar. She would buy all sorts. I had support from friends and Tolani
was one of such. It is important to have good support around you when undergoing such transformation because you cannot hit your desire goal on your own. What advice do you have for people who is on the line?
You can do it
Never let anyone make you feel you cannot achieve your desired goal. I get hundreds of mails from people wanting to know how to lose weight. Sometimes, I don’t read the lines again; I just know where you are going and what the challenge is because I have been there. It’s an exceptional journey; it’s an intellectual journey and until you see it that way you have not achieved anything yet. Your life style, your mind and soul…you must check what you think about everyday, you must be focused and trust me if I could then Yes! You can!

KEMI AJUMOBI

No comments: