Caren MaioCaren MaioCaren Maio.
It was the day an investor wrote a personal check for $25,000 to help take my startup Nestio to the next level that the responsibility of being a CEO really hit me.
It was 2011, and we were really just three people and an idea. Here was a father of two young kids, taking money out of what could have been a college fund, and investing it in the growth of our company.
I felt an enormous sense of responsibility to him, to the company, and the team, to not only return that money, but make it grow.
Entrepreneurship entices people for good reason: You get to build something of your own, control your own destiny, and swing for the fences. In fact, more than half of working-age adults around the world believe they have what it takes to start a business, according to a recent report from the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor.
I was one of them. But starting a company in my late 20s was nothing like what I expected. The pressure, the tough decisions, the loneliness: Yes, I knew all that was coming … but I didn't know how unrelenting it would be. On the flipside, there have also been many unexpected rewards I never imagined.
Here are three key lessons I've learned since starting Nestio five years ago, which I hope can help other aspiring entrepreneurs or young CEOs in the thick of it:

View As: One Page Slides