adsense

Monday 12 May 2014

When I want to find out something, I read –Ehirim


   
 


Managing Director of Hidden Treasure Bookstore, Mrs. Modupe Ehirim
The Managing Director of Hidden Treasure Bookstore, Mrs. Modupe Ehirim, in this interview with IFE ADEDAPO talks about the advantages of reading books and how to run a business without being there
What inspired you to start the business?
I never thought of starting a business because I thought I was going to work and retire, and just enjoy my life. I worked in Central Bank of Nigeria up until 1985; everybody knew they would retire after 35 years of service, or at 60 years of age. Some years down the line, our deputy director, after spending 35 years, wanted to retire and he said to me that he was unprepared to retire. I spoke with my friends and none of them could come up with anything on what they were going to do after retirement.
I started reading books. I learnt that what was happening in Nigeria was already happening in the United States and United Kingdom that people were already being retrenched. I then set myself a five-year target that I would start something even though I didn’t know what I wanted to do.
In 2001, we were not promoted as we should; so, the bank offered to retire anybody who was willing and ready to take early retirement. I took early retirement and enrolled for a Masters’ degree, and one day in the library, I discovered a book called: ‘Small business administration guide to starting your own business.’
The book is a guide on how to start your business, how do you decide on the business you want to do and how to choose the location, it was fascinating to me. I thought of opening a library but it dawned on me that I would need external funding because it costs a lot to run. So, I started a book store.
What fulfillment have you derived from your business compared with working for someone else?
The only difference between then and now is that I take total responsibility for everything. No matter how small your business is, it is a lot of responsibility because you have a lot of employees and their salaries have to be paid; you have pay for rent and ensure that your suppliers get their money in good time. You have to pay your taxes, you have to do a whole lot of things that when you were an employee, you never knew because, then, you only do what you were assigned to do.  The responsibility with all of these things lied with people in top management.
And sometimes you can work your whole life and never even get to that level. But once you start running your own business, you can make your decisions. If there is anything running my business has taught me, it is the fact that I sit down, I look at the situation and I look at the ways to go about and even implement them. That, probably, is the greatest joy I derive from running my business.
How do you run your business in Enugu from Lagos?
Most times, I wonder how the multinationals are not here and yet their businesses are running very well.
In Nigerian Breweries, to the best of my knowledge, until the company celebrated 30th year of operation, none of the members of the Heineken family had visited Nigeria yet, they turn over immense profit from their operation in Nigeria. Also, I had worked in CBN for about 15 years before I ever had the opportunity of being in the same programme with the governor of the CBN. They had branches all over the country and they were doing well. I just felt that there must be a way by which you can run your business and not being there every day.
In my store, I tried to replicate my experiences in the CBN; so, I did a procedure manual for everything, which includes how do you receive goods, what steps do you take, how do you record sales, how is money transferred from one place to another? We had procedures in place and the employees were scolded for not following the procedures. Perhaps, if they wanted to buy detergent for washing napkins used in cleaning the books, they had to write a small note to request for the amount they needed. When they came back they wrote a note that I bought detergent for an amount and here is the change.
People thought I was crazy doing that, but I felt these were some of the things that made the big organisations who they were. In 2005, I was put a position that I had to leave the store for three months without being there and the employees proved to me that they could follow the processes without me being there. That was an opportunity for me to see whether my presence was required.
How can reading habit be cultivated among Nigerians?
In cultivating reading habit, I will use my own example. When I was in the primary school, the British Council library came to our school every day and whenever they were there, we were allowed to borrow a book, but we were required to write a book report. A book report is not a very serious thing. It was just something you wrote so that the teacher knew you read the book.
That laid the foundation for me because I had the opportunity to read a lot of books. I was reading mainly because the stories were interesting. We need to cultivate reading habit and there has to be a way that reading is rewarded. The second thing is that the way education was then; we were encouraged to find out things for ourselves.
Really, if you were in the geography class, the teacher just asked, ‘Have you read Around the World in 80 days’? It is in the library’. So, we went and found things out ourselves and the teacher was there quietly helping us to understand that information could be got in books.
We have to create that kind of environment for kids. Many years afterward, it is not surprising that I read a lot, I read for fun, to learn every time, and when I want to find out something, I read.
What kind of books can eliminate poverty in Nigeria?
All books hold information on this, including fiction. The primary thing reading does is that it opens a door into a world of information. I am presently reading a book entitled: ‘How to be a best friend forever’. Even though I am not reading a book on money making, I am now conscious about the relationship I have with people. Invariably, what it means is that people who are in the position to take me by the hand and guide me to do things better in such a way that I will benefit financially, I will have better relationship with them.
There are books that are written specifically about financial planning and literacy, they are good and we should read them. But practically, every book has that capacity.
What are the advantages of e-books over printed copies?
As long as there are books in whatever form, people will read. For people who are old school, they are still attached to the printed text, probably because they are unaware of the technology or they find it difficult to adjust to it.
The young generation read e-books. But in truth, especially for us in Nigeria, the e-books are an advantage if people can cross the hurdle of inertia. Now, I am beginning to read a lot of e-books because there are books that I wanted to read but they are not yet in Nigeria; but now, I can download them.
The main advantage it has is that people have access to a lot more books. When you enter a small book store with 2,000 to 5,000 books, the books seem much and yet, that quantity is not even enough. There is a limit to what people can stock. The limitation of inadequate space to stock them is reduced when you begin to buy e-books

No comments: