o1


Last week, City People spoke to  Princess Adeola Aanuoluwapo

 Ogunwusi, the pretty daughter of the new Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye
 Ogunwusi. She is 21, and a graduate of Warwick University. 
She is currently doing her Masters programme at the University 
College, London in Urban Economic Development. Her dad gave
 birth to her when he was 19 and since then, both father and 
daughter have had a deep bond.


o3

Now see interview excerpts:

Princess Adeola Aanuoluwapo Ogunwusi still cannot believe 

the sudden transformation of her father’s life from being a 
Prince to a King. Imagine this. Her dad visited her in school in 
July and he spent quality time with her. He then returned to
 Nigeria only to hear a few weeks later that her dad had become
 the new Ooni of Ife. How did she take the news of her dad becoming 
the new Ooni, she was asked.

“To be honest I didn’t really understand what was going on” 

she explained.” It all happened too fast.
You know before my dad was announced as the Ooni of Ife, 

he was at my graduation ceremony in July and everything was 
still pretty normal. By normal I mean nothing much had changed
 with my family since I last saw them. Then next thing I know, my
 dad is the Ooni of Ife and now I guess my definition of normal is 
about to change.” She seems to enjoy a close bond with her dad.
o 

How does she feel having such a father that cares?
“Yeah my dad and I are close, it’s easy you know because he’s really 

cool and he just gets it. I couldn’t have asked for a better parent.
 He’s the best”.
What sort of a dad is he?
He’s like a permissive and authoritative dad. So while he allows me 

to express myself freely, he also values discipline.”
Where was she born? Where did she grow up? Where did she school?
“I grew up in Ibadan, lived there until I was 14 then I moved to Lagos. 

I completed my Primary and Secondary School education in Ibadan.
 I attended Ronk New Age Nursery and Primary School, Livingstone 
College and United Missionary Comprehensive College (UMCC). 
After secondary school I got an admission into American University of
 Nigeria (AUN) but I was only there for a year then I moved to England.
 I completed my foundation at Warwick University, Bachelor’s degree at 
the university of Manchester and now, I am currently doing my masters at 
University College, London.
”What are the lessons her dad taught her?
My dad taught me that when you combine hard work with humility, 

you will go places.”
o2 
How about her mum?
“My mum is amazing. The relationship I have with both parents is quite 

similar really. I see my dad as that very supportive best friend and my mum 
as that older sister who has my back no matter what. She’s my cheerleader 
and the absolute best.”
What sort of a person is Princess Adeola? Is she outgoing or reserved? 
With me what you see is what you get really, I am a very simple person and 

I believe I am also kind and reserved.”