adsense

Sunday 20 October 2013

The difference between a rich and poor man is information’


   


Mr. Jeje Peter
In this interview, the Founder of Thoroughklin Services, Mr. Jeje Peter, 28, shares his success story with MOTUNRAYO JOEL
What is your educational background?
I studied geography at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
What is your business about and when did you start?
Thoroughklin is a facility-cleaning company. We offer services to homes, offices, organisations. I started on the sideline in 2011 but went fully into it in February 2012 when I completed my National Youth Service Corps programme.
What spurred you?
Back in 2009, I saw the situation of unemployment in Nigeria and I did not want to be caught in the web. So I got some information that sparked the idea of starting a business. The information really transformed my life. Also, I remember an old man who came to clear the weed growing in the gutter right in front of the house once in a while. I began to think how much this man could be making a week and a month. That sparked off in me new ideas of what to do and how to do it. By the time I eventually finished school in 2010, I had written down my business plan from start to finish. I realised that only information can transform a life. The difference between a rich man and a poor man is information. Before going for my NYSC programme in October 2010, I had gathered volumes of information to start.
Did you entertain any doubt?
There was no doubt in me. I rather drew a five-plan for the business. The plan stated the factors of success and failure but I was determined to come out well.
Describe the process you passed through in starting your business?
When I was younger I had a passion for doing things with my hands. Passion keeps you focused. I knew I needed more knowledge. During my service, I worked for a facility company where I was exposed to all I needed to know. I took note of the activities. I went through all the processes from one department to another. Also, I started saving from my allowance money to open a limited liability company. I saw myself very big and able to contribute in reducing the unemployment market.
What is the impact of technology positively on the entrepreneurial environment?
Technology has done a lot, especially the social media. These days, I visit the ‘University of Google’ to study. The platform has enough information to turn your mind around. I read a lot from the Internet.
Did you use social media to develop your client database?
Yes, if you really need to get customers, make the Internet your number one resort. My phone has really helped me a lot. One can search for business names, numbers and addresses. From there, I created an excel sheet for the names of organisations, hospitals, and schools across the country.
What are some of the challenges have you faced so far?
A lot! Some have to do with clients, others with staff. One of the challenges in business is managing people. We also face technical issues but in all, we understand that without problem we won’t be offering our service. Challenges help us to improve on service delivery.
What is your annual profit like?
We just started about a year and some months ago and already we have hit the six digit figure in profit and it is getting better by the day.
What measures have you put in place to stay ahead of your competitors?
First, don’t look at your competitors; just stay focused.  Run your race at your level. Create a unique path, develop yourself and be better in your service delivery. Some are ahead of you while others are just joining; so study those ahead and see how they grew their customer base and you can improve. I believe if you can start at your level and improve yourself daily, customers will surly come and you grow the database.  If you want to be successful in business, you must study what your clients want.
Were you born with an entrepreneurial spirit or did you develop it?
I believe no one is born to be an entrepreneur but the choice we make as we grow. The area we find ourselves matters. A person born within the market will do well when it comes to selling than someone born in an academic environment. I desire a change in Nigeria. I want to solve problems and bless mankind. It was this desire that led me into starting a business. I also wanted to be independent and to serve God with my time. My mother is an entrepreneur and love to do business. Maybe I got the spirit from her.
Do you think the mindset has anything to do with success?
Yes, our mindset has everything to do with our success in life. If you are poor in mind you can’t imagine big things. Man is made up of body, soul and spirit. The mind is where the real work is. Our mind is the field of life; where every battle takes place. A lot of people fail because their minds are poor. They cannot see the big picture ahead of them. The mind is the engine room where thoughts are processed. Even the Bible says in Pro. 23:7, “For as he think in his heart so is he.” Success in business begins in the mind. If you can get it straight from your mind, you won’t have any difficulty succeeding. I remember I read a book by Paul Y Cho (pastor of the world largest church), Secret of Church Growth. I took the principle, digested it and it worked. So my mind was set and ready to achieve. I will like to say this, if it’s not God backing you, it will be difficult for you to succeed. So feed your mind with relevant and current information. Your mind can do so many things. Be positive in your thinking. Great stories came from bright minds.
If you could turn the time, what would you love to do in regards to your business?
If you have a business and employ people, you will pay for their services and they will help you to carry out your vision. I once told my mummy that if I was not doing what I am doing now, I would be selling food. I understand that food is a business that sells every day regardless of the season. People eat daily. I will sell to schools, higher institution; create my own idea and packaging. I said I would sell noodles, plantain and gizzard and have this moving van stationed in different areas with drinks and other ideas will open up. Back in school, a friend opened an eatery. He understood that the school had many canteens; so he decided to bring a difference. He introduced grilled fish and was selling with rice. That was unique and people fell for it. Business needs new ideas, techniques, and branding. I love to go into food business too. The Dangote Group is a chain of businesses and they are doing well. If you don’t buy cement, you buy sugar or something else. Agriculture is another area; we need people to give more attention to agriculture. It will boost our economy.
Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I see myself transformed; breaking new grounds, creating opportunities all around the country, and improving the market. I also hope to sell my ideas overseas. I hope to do all these with the help of God.
Do you think you have acquired expertise?
We are only one year and a few months. These can’t be the yardstick for measuring expertise. I believe experience comes with the years a person has been on that same job. I am learning and improving my service delivery. I am sure adequate information is a vital key in any business. We have done some jobs and we get referrals both from multinational and private firms.
What advice would you give to young people like you who are willing to start a business?
Believe in yourself. Get down to resourceful information, materials, and see yourself achieving great things. There are times it will be so difficult; never give up. A castle is not built in a day. Don’t rush into things; money is not the first thing but passion.
What are your thoughts on entrepreneurial ship of young people especially in an economy where jobs are hard to get?
There are lots of opportunities that are yet to be harnessed. I remember when I attended a programme organised by After School Graduate Development Centre. I discovered a lot I can play at the value chain of each business. I realised I can do so many things like painting, plumbing, and others. What we need is information to explore our world. If our generation can go for the right things, Nigeria will be a better place. There are still opportunities out there. We should create more platforms to encourage and help this generation to see their potential in the business world. That will create jobs and reduce robbery, kidnapping, killing, and corruption. I think it’s time to open up centres for young people to develop their skills and relate their dream to people who can help them find their way through.

No comments: