adsense

Saturday 19 July 2014

I sacrificed watching my favourite TV shows to excel –Star Nigerian PhD student in the US


   
 


Justus Ndukaife
Twenty seven years old Justus Ndukaife graduated with a First Class degree, he had a Distinction in his Master’s degree programme in the US and is currently a 4.0/4.0 grade Ph.D student in US. He shares in this interview with TUNDE AJAJA how he has achieved his successes so far
How did your education journey start?
I had my undergraduate education at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, where I had a First Class Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering with 4.59/5.00 CGPA in 2009. I travelled to the United States in 2010 for my postgraduate studies at Purdue University, which I completed in 2012 with a CGPA of 3.86/4.00. After my Masters programme, I was admitted into the Ph.D programme in Electrical Engineering in the same university in West-Lafayette. I am currently a PhD student with CGPA of 4.0/4.0. I am also a recipient of the National Society of Black Engineers Board of Corporate Affiliates Scholarship, which was awarded during the 15th Annual Golden Torch Awards ceremony at the NSBE Annual Convention in 2012 in the Davis Lawrence Convention Centre in Pittsburgh, PA. I was invited and inducted into the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honour Society in 2011, and the Golden Key International Honour Society in 2014. I am currently the President of the Nanotechnology Student Advisory Council at the Birck Nanotechnology Centre at Purdue University, USA.
Was it your plan to study to this level when you were young?
Yes, even though I never had a good understanding of what it meant then until I got older. I have always had the passion to contribute to science and technology development in my life, and to do so, I believe I need to work towards a Ph.D degree.
Was that why you chose to study Electrical and Computer Engineering as an undergraduate?
Prior to finishing from secondary school, we had a session whereby some professionals spoke to us about different careers, such as in Engineering, Medicine, Banking etc, and some of the emphasis and requirements of those disciplines. I personally decided to study Electrical and Computer Engineering because of my love for mathematics. I believe that area would enable me to put my mathematics skill to use and do what I love doing. Based on my experience now, I believe I headed the right direction.
Since you had a first class in your first degree, why didn’t you do your postgraduate studies in Nigeria or at least stay to work for some time?
I was not satisfied with my level of education (Bachelor’s degree) then. I was interested in going for more. It has always been part of my plan to travel for my postgraduate studies. The primary reason why I travelled to the United States was to enable me to pursue advanced degree(s) where there are plenty of resources and state-of-the-art facilities for research and technology development.
What were the decisions you took that helped you when you entered university?
My initial decision was to take my studies very seriously and be the best that I could possibly be. When I got into the university, I realised that there were different kinds of lifestyles one could live on campus, so I weighed the advantages and the disadvantages, and I decided to devote my time and energy towards developing my mind and laying a solid foundation for my future career. All my days as an undergraduate, I never visited a nightclub and I don’t feel I missed anything worthwhile by not doing so. I certainly believe that if I had not made the choice I made, I would not be where I am today or doing what I do today.
Did anyone influence the decision(s)?
To a large extent, my parents influenced me. They sacrificed so much to give me and my siblings the best education they could afford, so, I always want to make them happy by living up to their expectations, which entails striving to be the best. I was also very determined to succeed and make a mark in our world and by so doing set a good record and example for those who look up to me.
Have you always been coming first in your former schools?
Not really. I met a very serious academic and morally inclined environment when I got to my desired secondary school, Saint Francis Catholic Secondary School, Idimu Lagos, even though my parents could not afford the fees initially. I used to struggle with my classes then. I recall scoring 1/20 in my first Physics test and 2.5/20 in my Further Maths test. I worked very hard, made friends with the smartest folks in class then, and asked my teachers lots of questions during office hours. With time, I managed to improve, and made 8th position in class that term. With persistent hard work, I made 5th, 2nd, and 1st positions the subsequent terms. I eventually finished top of my class at SFCSS, while receiving several Best Student Awards. When I was an undergraduate, I had first class as my CGPA throughout my stay, and I also did receive some scholarship support from UNILAG for maintaining a First Class CGPA consistently. So, I was conscious of what I wanted.
Does it mean you never thought you would be this brilliant, also considering that you had to work very hard to move from 8th position to the 1st?
Yes, absolutely. I was not inspired or intellectually engaged in my first secondary school until I was enrolled into Saint Francis Catholic Secondary School and I never discovered my true potentials until I got there. My zeal for learning and commitment to my studies was revitalised and to a large extent, the success I have earned so far has its foundation in my experience there. I am very pleased to have had the privilege of attending that school and I thank my parents for believing in me and giving me that opportunity.
You had distinction during your Master’s programme and a 4.0/4.0 in the Ph.D programme you are currently running in the US, how did you achieve it?
Of course, nothing good comes easy. I had to sacrifice several nights of sleep for sure. I also had to sacrifice watching favourite TV programmes and movies. I think the greatest sacrifice I made was to invest a good portion of my time and my youthful days in my studies and towards building my future career. I think this was certainly a wise choice, and as Jim Rohn once said, “Time is more valuable than money, you can get more money, but you cannot get more time.”
What is your lowest grade since the days of your Master’s programme?
I had a B+ once, which was around 83%.
What did your lecturers and supervisor think of you and your brilliance as a Nigerian?
Some of my professors commended me indeed. I recall comments like ‘I am very proud of you’ and ‘I am very pleased with your achievements and the great work you are doing.’ I also felt proud when one of them told me, ‘It is difficult to impress me, but I am very impressed with your presentation,’ and ‘this is very impressive’ and so on. I also do appreciate a compliment from my MS thesis adviser who, after my thesis defence, was very impressed with my performance and took me out for lunch.
What do you do differently that makes you so outstanding?
I usually invest quality time in what I am doing. I spend serious time pondering and trying to comprehend the relevant concepts, and the more time I spend doing so the better I understand things. Additionally, I do a lot of thinking and meditation and I think from experience, a lot of interesting ideas come in the process.
What is your typical academic schedule like?
I use between eight and 12 hours on my studies and research, depending on what other commitments I have for that day, and I sleep about six hours daily.
Do you have sleepless nights when exam is approaching?
I only did that a couple of times as an undergraduate. From my experience, I think it is good practice to have about six hours of sleep the night before an exam, to ensure one’s mind is alert while writing the paper. I always try to do that.
How often do you go to the library?
I go to the library like twice or thrice a week now because I am able to access most of the library resources online and have access to several conducive environments such as computer labs, offices, etc for study. I spend some of my time now running experiments in laboratories as well. During my undergraduate days, I went to the library almost every day.
It is believed that students who excel academically are often confronted with gestures from female friends, do you have such experience?
Most of my female friends appear to be very serious minded and occupied with their studies and do not appear to have plenty of time to go about luring guys. I do try to avoid places where I could get lured, so I don’t get distracted. One of my decisions when I came here is that I will not be distracted from my goals, and I promised myself to strive to be the best that I can possibly be and make every effort on my work to be as thorough as possible. Even though I do receive several kind gestures from my female friends, I don’t interpret them as anything more than that.
Do you hope to come back home to pick up a job?
Yes, I do hope to someday help in the technological development of Nigeria.

No comments: