adsense

Sunday 29 June 2014

Maximise your God-given abilities —Bliss K


ADVERTISEMENT
Blessing Kemi Ogundiran, popularly known as Bliss K, is a poet, songwriter, singer, novelist and playwright. The Kwara State-born lady spoke with TOYIN KOMOLAFE on the challenges writers face in Nigeria, her plans for the future and sundry issues. Excerpts:
DO you have a routine for writing poetry?I write anytime I am inspired. I do not have a routine for my writings. I get into the act anytime I am inspired and/or motivated. Writings come naturally to me.
Who are the poets that have influence on you?William Shakespeare, Wole Soyinka, Niyi Osundare and lots more.
What are your plans for the future?There are strategic plans being acted upon for my works to be published in the nearest future to positively impact the minds of people for better living. A major move now is the approval and adoption of my values-centered poems, plays and songs into the textbook, film and musical versions of project national values (for schools, colleges, organisations, homes, etc). Other plans are to write for newspapers, magazines, as well as to publish my books and produce my plays on stage or as movies. Another plan I have is to release a pictorial publication on ABS exercises for flat tummy, weight loss and physical fitness. I will soon release a Do-It-Yourself Manual on the production and packaging of liquid soap, toilet cleaners and disinfectants
What challenges are Nigerian writers facing?I do believe that poor reading culture and lack of freedom to express your personal perspectives, beliefs and opinions are foremost challenges that Nigerian writers face. Our poor reading culture as a nation has consciously and unconsciously demoralised most Nigerian writers to see and take writing as a non-lucrative venture or career. And with no freedom of information, Nigerian writers feel insecured to write off their treasured and personal opinions. Another major challenge is the lack of facilities to help discover, develop and effectively deploy your literary abilities. There is also the greatest enemy and challenge of low self-esteem which waters down one’s writing talent and makes non-relevant, the intellectual contributions that would have made this world a better place.
Where do you source your inspiration from?I am fully inspired by God. I also get motivated by circumstances happening around me and my personal experiences. It is also noteworthy that personal study into literary works has helped me a lot. You read a line of great work, and unimaginable inspiration flow to you from another dimension; your artistic mind is simply ignited and juiced up and your hand spurred into creative writing.
Challenges?Isn’t it odd to be a “writing” engineer? One of my greatest challenges was the failure to discover my writing talent early in order to develop and deploy it. I believe I would have been better off as an art student in high school rather than being a science student. Like most Nigerian youths, I lacked  effective career guidance and counselling. Another great challenge was when my laptop containing many years of literary works was stolen. I felt empty; it was as if I was robbed of my life. Thanks to God and loved ones; who encouraged me to bounce back.
Role models?William Shakespeare, Chinua Achebe, Nelson Mandela, Niyi Osundare, Joyce Meyers, Taffi L Dollar, Gloria Copeland, Mark Twain, Wole Soyinka, Chimanda Adozie, Don Moen, Celine Dion, Westlife, Whitney Houston, and ultimately, my parents and my sister, Tosin.
Have you ever felt like quitting?Yes, I did! I felt like quitting when I lost all my works in the robbery incident that got my laptop stolen. And there were times that I felt my writings were useless and wouldn’t make it to limelight; but thank God all that are things of the past now.
What advice do you have for those just starting out?Develop good self-esteem and appreciate what you have. Work on your skills and write with definite sense of purpose and vision. And please, never be intimidated, be the best that you can be and always know you can always get better. You won’t go far as a lone-ranger; always be open to criticisms, comments and counsels.
Advice for Nigerian youths?Let your career choice be based on your God-given gift and fascinations and never be influenced by parental or peer pressure. Believe in yourself and your God-given gifts and passions. And don’t be scared or intimidated to develop and display your talents. Always know that you and your gifts are solution to someone’s problem; you are a missing piece in someone’s puzzle. Ultimately, never rest on your oars and always give all the glory to God alone.

No comments: